Itchin and twitchin

If it has Pedals...
Paul Lafountaine

Itchin and twitchin

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi,

I've been planning on building a pedal steel since I finished restoring Flipper. Over the past few months, I have been studying changer designs. For my first attempt at this, I am hoping to get some input from folks on the forum. What is the simplest and yet most tried and true design you fellow builders have used. My only limitations are tools, brains, and skill. LOL! So please lets keep it simple. I have been talking to Bent about this and he has sent me photos of his design and I really like it, but would like to see some other options. Hoping Burt has some input!

Thanks all,

Paul
burt

Re: Itchin and twitchin

Post by burt »

One of the simplest designs is the pull-release system, which is very reliable due to its simplicity.

It has its limitations, though, and is not suitable for adventurous copedents, and is not capable of splits.

The ZB all-pull design is fairly simple, and wouldn't be too difficult to make with simple hand tools, and would give all the benefits of an all-pull changer (no excess travel in the raise rods, split tuning capability, tuning at the endplate) which a pull-release can't give.

Another way to accomplish raises or lowers is to have plungers that pass through the body of the steel at the keyhead, and pull/release the strings there.
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Itchin and twitchin

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Thanks for the reply Burt. I have been looking at some of the animations you've posted and see some pretty easy designs to follow. Could you provide a rough sketch of the ZB mechanisms. I am downstairs right now on my Linux box and the photos of the changer fingers I plan to use are upstairs. I will post pictures later. The changer fingers I plan to use are a one piece design. By the way, I am thinking 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.

Paul