Meet Flipper

If it has Pedals...
Paul Lafountaine

Meet Flipper

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Over the past few months, I have been working on rebuilding a pedal steel that was built by a person who appears to have had a love for the pedal steel guitar. This is a one off and I hope I do it justice. I am assuming this was built in the 60's judging by the hardware. The end plates, key head and changer head seem to be cast out of aluminum. The key head has J-bo engraved and I just want to thank J-bo for this gift and once again I hope I did this old guitar justice.

Here are a few before and after pictures as I have been working on this sweetheart. I would like to thank Bent and Burt for all their help as I worked on this rebuild. Bent provided me with a lot of advise and personal support and Burt figured out how the changer works. Thank you all, it is very much appreciated. Please remember this is my first attempt at working on a pedal steel, so be gentle.

I am missing a few parts and am working an alternative ideas to replace them.

More pictures to fallow as I can only attach 3 at a time.

Paul
Attachments
Cabinet Finished 1.jpg
Cabinet Finished 1.jpg (135.35 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Cab B4 2.jpg
Cab B4 2.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Can Be4 1.jpg
Can Be4 1.jpg (85.15 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Meet Flipper

Here is another picture of the cabinet completed.

Paul
Attachments
Cabinet Finished 2.jpg
Cabinet Finished 2.jpg (130.82 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Paul Lafountaine

A little story about this guitar. When I purchased it the fellow I bought it from affectionately referred to it as the ole' gal, so that became her name. I was showing Bent some pictures and I referred to the parts that the rods pass through as flappers. Bent said that they are not flappers, but Flippers. Now, it has been rebranded as Flipper. I love the name! Thanks Bent.

Paul
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Paul -

I admire your tenaciousness and craftsmanship in rebuilding an old instrument that requires a ton of TLC. I'm in the same boat with an old Dekley, so I can relate well. Good work, son.

Richard
Paul Lafountaine

Thank you Richard, I am happy to hear that I am not the only one working with these old guitars. This has really been a great experience for me. I still have no idea how this is gonna turn out and how it will sound, but I am getting close to finishing it.

Post some pictures of your work so far on your ole' gal. I am interested in seeing it.

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Paul , that guitar is sure pretty , you are doing a fine job of bringing her back to life , keep at it . ( that bud box looks empty ) :D
Paul Lafountaine

Thanks for looking and the budbox has been refilled many times during this project. Many times! Tomorrow I will post pictures of the undercarriage and were I am at with it. I was hoping to put the string on this weekend, but I ended up making meat pies today. I would have preferred working on the guitar. lol

Paul
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hey Paul, As you know I have been feeling a bit stressed lately. To view the pics of Flipper is pure tonic for my soul.You speak of your project in such glowing terms. It is easy to understand the love and dedication you have put into it. I bet Flipper will reward you with a beautiful tone and sound like no other. The thick, solid keyhead and endplates tell me that.

Of course, now that you know more of the ins and outs of the steel guitars makings, you will be ready to embark on a new project when the time is right. I envision you building one from scratch the next time.
Good work my friend!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Lafountaine

Here are a few pictures of the undercarriage when I first received the guitar. I took it all apart and did a lot of cleaning. All the mechanics were painted with black paint. I think it was a spray bomb. Sure kept me busy for a few days!

Paul
Attachments
Unc B4 3.jpg
Unc B4 3.jpg (157.36 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Unc B4 2.jpg
Unc B4 2.jpg (152.4 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Unc B4 3.jpg
Unc B4 3.jpg (157.36 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Paul Lafountaine

Hey Bent, you are responsible for her name. I will have to get a decal made that says Flipper. You have given me so much encouragement and advise. I really thank you for your help. I have kept it as original as I can.

Paul