Changer Identification and Mechanics

If it has Pedals...
Paul Lafountaine

Changer Identification and Mechanics

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Guys,

I recently bought an old custom built pedal steel. it is an S10. The fellow who built this back in the 60's or 70's I'm guessing had his own design in mind. I'm trying to figure out how the changer works. From the rodding it appears to be an E9 tuning with 1 knee lever and 3 pedals. Here is a photo of the changer. If you need more pictures I can provide them.

Paul
Attachments
phpD5wmZYPM.jpg
phpD5wmZYPM.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Changer Identification and Mechanics

Thanks for the reply Bentley! This is a strange ole' gal. As I said this is a one of a kind. From what I have been able to figure from the pedal and knee lever action it is an all pull or raise type. I do not see this thing as having the ability to lower. This old beaut has been sitting in someones basement for a long time all the rods have surface rust and it is slow going to take it apart. The red you see on the changer seems to be either sawdust with trany fluid or sawdust from the top portion of the cabinet. I am really confused by the changer design. Here are a few more pictures of the changer. I have included a picture of the keyhead and maybe someone can identify who may have built this.

I sure hope Bent, Eldon, Burt, or Russ may chime in on this with all they're wisdom.

Thanks again Bentley, I appreciate your help.

Paul
Attachments
phpNBdtNKPM.jpg
phpNBdtNKPM.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
phplGVJf9PM.jpg
phplGVJf9PM.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
php0U5wfFPM.jpg
php0U5wfFPM.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Last edited by Paul Lafountaine on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Lafountaine

Here are a few more pictures. I will see if I have some of the lever mechanism to add. I is also quite different.

Thanks again,

Paul
Attachments
phpYHWcIYPM.jpg
phpYHWcIYPM.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
phpXLNczmPM.jpg
phpXLNczmPM.jpg (13.23 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Paul Lafountaine

By the way, to add to my confusion, the rods were not attached to the changer or the piece that controls the return springs. I sure hope I am making sense, but I am really confused by this setup. Wait till you see how the pedal levers are configured. It actually makes sense, but not a standard setup.

Paul
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hi Bentley, welcome to the forum.
Paul, The thing has me puzzled. From looking at the pics I tend to agree with Bentley that it is some sort of a push/pull. Going by the very first pic, the front fingers have collared barrels on the rods - makes me think that they are intended to push the finger. What I DON'T understand is what seems like 2 sets of fingers.
But maybe the front ones are connected to the rear ones?
A couple of things I DO know is:
It is a unique changer system
It is a "must see"
You "must" throw it in the Chevy when you come for a visit next weekend.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Lafountaine

Thanks Bent for your input. I am sure I will need a few cold ones to figure this one out. Here are a few pictures of the changer removed from the body. I've come to 2 conclusions on this: 1) The fellow who built this was a f#$%ing genius. 2) The guy who owns it now is real stupid. LOL

Paul
Attachments
Changer 2.jpg
Changer 2.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
Changer 1.jpg
Changer 1.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
Paul Lafountaine

Here are a few pictures of what I guess is the spring return block that works in conjunction with the changer.

Paul
Attachments
Return Block 2.jpg
Return Block 2.jpg (44.17 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Return Block 1.jpg
Return Block 1.jpg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Paul Lafountaine

OK finally here is a picture of the Pedal Mechanism. This is a little different from the usual pedal setups I have seen. If anyone wants to toss some ideas around on how this thing works I'm all ears.

Paul
Attachments
Pedal Setup.jpg
Pedal Setup.jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Paul Lafountaine

You Want it Benltrley I will sell it to you. The guy I bought it from ask for $375.00 and an extra $25.00 to ship to Canada. I can show you the emails of our transaction. If you want it make me an offer.

Paul
Paul Lafountaine

Well I offered as you seem to know your stuff. I would like to thank you for your input. If you change your mind I'm still here.

Paul