Mounting a pickup question

If it has Pedals...
Fred Wright

Mounting a pickup question

Post by Fred Wright »

I'm mounting a pickup in my project PSG. Do I need to use washers and springs between the guitar body and pickup? Suggestions please! Fred
Georg

Re: Mounting a pickup question

Post by Georg »

If you want to adjust the PU in height after installation washers/springs will let you. If the height is fixed washers/springs won't do anything good.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Thanks Georg. Also, is there a standard spacing between the strings and the pickup? If so, what is it. Fred
Georg

Post by Georg »

Somewhere between the thickness of two to three quarter coins does it for most players. Usually tilted slightly higher under the thin strings to get unwound strings to sound in level with the wound ones.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Great! Thanks Georg!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Speaking of which... what is y'alls ideas for pickup mounting plates? I mean everything right from how you mount it on the pickup cavity, how you shape the plate itself, height adjustment,how you enable the plate to receive a myriad of pickups
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Apparently, Fred turned 82 only a few days ago. Glad to see he is hard at building. Happy Belated Birthday Fred.

Paulie
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Bent, Great idea/question. I'd be interested too.
Thanks Paulie. I'm trying to keep both mentally and physically active. At my age it's too easy to sit, eat bad food, get fat, and sleep. Fred
Bent

Post by Bent »

Fred Happy 82nd! You bet, active is the name of the game. You might not know it but fellow builder Ed Fulawka, who turned 83 in July, is cranking out pedal steels every day.As far as I know, he still works about 6 hours a day...still makes is world renown Fulawka pedal steels. I say for us older set, just keep on truckin!
Good luck in your venture Fred!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Kudos to Ed. Between my being a writer, a published author, teaching creative writing, playing steel, building a steel, and maintaining a good size home, most of my waking (and sometimes sleeping) hours are pretty full. However, I still have time to work for the Lord, try to be a good husband, father and grandfather. Holy mackerel Bent, I didn't realize that I'm so busy until you mentioned Ed. :D By the way, please give him my best! Fred