Changer Layout

If it has Pedals...
engraver25

Changer Layout

Post by engraver25 »

Working on my first changer and don't know if I'm in the ball park or not.
For a trial, I cut them out of plastic on a laser and they seem to fit together and work ok.
Can anybody help on this. Also where can you find the micro rollers for the fingers?
The smallest I can find are .5".

Teddy
Attachments
Changer Finger Assy 1.JPG
Changer Finger Assy 1.JPG (40.62 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Georg

Re: Changer Layout

Post by Georg »

Cutout in light gray - lower - seems wrong, angled the wrong way and too small. Red - raise - will run into and engage light gray - lower - pretty early, limiting raise.

An example of small ball bearings here and you can continue your search on Amazon till you find a suitable size/variant.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) I'm with George here , think you should make the whole finger 3/4" longer so as to get enuff leverage and travel for both raise and lower. If it's made longer u can increase the leverage ratio so the raises and lowers aren't stiff. Here's a link to all kinds o bearings in miniature...http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-and-rolle ... gs/=dl5qxw ....Stormy
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Teddy -

Stormy has a very valid point which, I think, should be considered. My GFI measures approximately 4.25" overall at the changer. In comparing the GFI to other instruments, I do not consider it to be overly "tall" at the changer. Be mindful of the fact that, as you gain mechanical advantage at one point, the travel at another point will increase. As always, a compromise is in order.

In the link below, Buzz Evans is playing a Mullen. Yes, I know, it is difficult to determine dimensions from a photo or video but - to my eye - the Mullen seems to be much "fatter" than my GFI. This may well be due to a longer changer assembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYCAkNx6nFg

As an aside, it would be well worth it to view the entire video as Buzz is one helluva steel player!

Respectfully,

Richard
engraver25

Post by engraver25 »

Hello Guys,

I really want to thank you for the reply. In looking at this thing I think I understand what you're saying.....I think. When the lower is pulled how much does the string finger move? See if this
drawing is any better. Hey I'm learning and having fun....

Teddy
Attachments
Changer Finger Assy 1.JPG
Changer Finger Assy 1.JPG (24.07 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
burt

Post by burt »

It might be a good idea to extend the bottom segment, to allow for a much longer lower return spring.

The longer the spring, the lighter the progressive action (on the knee lever), especially if it's doing a full-tone lower.
Attachments
extended-changer.JPG
extended-changer.JPG (13.33 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) I think u nailed it Rich, I would prolly use a ball bearing on the scissor rivet also.....Stormy ;)
engraver25

Post by engraver25 »

Thanks Burt,

Would have responded sooner but had too many projects going at once.
Guess its back to the drawing board.
You guys have helped a lot.

Teddy