Questions about Mica!

If it has Pedals...
louckswayne

Questions about Mica!

Post by louckswayne »

Guys
I dont mean to rub anyone wrong as i love the pretty wood too! However for my own
reasons i am thinking of mica top cabinet and wood front apron. I dont know much
about the mica material so i thought i would ask questions. What is mica? How
thick is it? Where can you get it? What kind of glue used to install it etc.?
Anyone in the know about this, it would be great to get your help/advice!
Sincerely
Wayne
Bent

Re: Questions about Mica!

Post by Bent »

Mica is short for Formica - a brand name of a plastic type of wood covering. You used to see it on restaurant tables and counter tops. It also appears on some pedal steel guitars :-)
I believe it is around 1/32" thick
Contact cement was used to install it. I am not up on modern adhesives possibly used.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent wrote:Mica is short for Formica - a brand name of a plastic type of wood covering. You used to see it on restaurant tables and counter tops. It also appears on some pedal steel guitars :-)
I believe it is around 1/32" thick
Contact cement was used to install it. I am not up on modern adhesives possibly used.
Thanks Bent, lumber yards or cabinet shops might have some smaller pcs!
Wayne
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Wayne, not sure were you live, but here in Northern Ontario we have Rona Cashway and Home Center. When the corner of a 4'X8' sheet gets chipped they will cut them into 2'X4' pieces and they will sell them for 5 or 6 bucks a piece. I have seen many different colors and wood grain finishes of mica and their a some real beautiful looking styles of mica. Just ask at your local supply store about mica remnants and I'm sure you will find a good deal.

Paul
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Paul Lafountaine wrote:Wayne, not sure were you live, but here in Northern Ontario we have Rona Cashway and Home Center. When the corner of a 4'X8' sheet gets chipped they will cut them into 2'X4' pieces and they will sell them for 5 or 6 bucks a piece. I have seen many different colors and wood grain finishes of mica and their a some real beautiful looking styles of mica. Just ask at your local supply store about mica remnants and I'm sure you will find a good deal.

Paul
Hey Paul
I live in Simcoe ON. and we have Rona and Home Center here! I will check them out
for cut down shts. A full sht. can run around $60 to $70! going on what im seeing
online. Thanks for your help with this!
Wayne
Gary Patterson

Post by Gary Patterson »

I wonder if anyone has tried the material used for covering drums? Lots of good looking (and hideous) patterns available. I presume the material is thinner than counter-top formica, but it seems to be quite durable.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Gary Patterson wrote:I wonder if anyone has tried the material used for covering drums? Lots of good looking (and hideous) patterns available. I presume the material is thinner than counter-top formica, but it seems to be quite durable.
Gary
I dont know the answer to that, but if you find out more info let us
know!
Wayne