plating on crossbars?

If it has Pedals...
joe

plating on crossbars?

Post by joe »

This topic may be better in the sources of supply category but what I'm wondering is how you guys deal with having crossbars plated so they won't rust. I haven't yet started into building a guitar. Mostly I have worked on current production models making changes or adding changes. I'm trying to educate myself about ways to do things or even better how not to do them. Would making crossbars out of stainless be a way to avoid plating? Sometimes replacement parts for older guitars are hard to get or prohibitively expensive.
Joe
Storm Rosson

Re: plating on crossbars?

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Yes u can use stainless, just remember if there is any welding involved it requires a mig/tig welder. You can also use Al 7068 alloy as it has a yield strength(resistance to bending) that exceeds most average steel alloys, but is a bit hard to work. I use ss 17-4 alloy from online metals( hard to cut, get extra blades).For economy u can use galvanized steel, it's available in hex, square, and round rod. Hope this helps...Stormy :mrgreen:
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Just a note re galvanized steel. My neighbour told me that fumes from welding galvanized steel produce neurological damage. A guy he knew welded it for an hour without the proper mask, and then was on lifelong compensation since it screwed him up.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks for the info guys. I know that galvanized stuff can be really bad when heated either by welding or in a forge fire. I avoid it.
I guess if I have to make a crossbar I will use stainless. That seems a good solution to avoid the hassles and cost of finding someone to plate one or two pieces.
Joe