Pedal Stops

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Pedal Stops

Post by Eldon »

Feel like it's going to freeze again here tonight - good stuff means I can go in my shop and build instead of doing yardwork. Anyway to the point.

Any pedal steel that I've seen has had the pedal stops up undernieth the guitar. When Your mashing pedals this is bound to add some cab drop. What would happen if the stops were installed on the pedal bar itself.

Can someone talk me out of it if it's not a good idea, I'm looking for some thoughts.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Georg

Re: Pedal Stops

Post by Georg »

Keep the pedal-stoppers in the cab. Too easy to twist the pedal-bar if the stoppers are placed down there, unless you make the pedal-bar quite tall and legs and leg-attachment very rigid/strong.

All my PSGs have pedal-stoppers pushing against the front profile. Some have no detuning, one has a lot. Focus on keeping the bridge/changer/endplates and heyhead from twisting/bending under varying string-tension, and the downward forces from pushing pedals can pretty much be ignored as having minor detuning-effect.

All my very personal experience and opinion, of course.

Georg
Eldon

Re: Pedal Stops

Post by Eldon »

Thanks Georg! I'll go with the standard front apron arrangement. I respect your experience and opinion.

I'm also adding a pair of truss rods underneith. Will post pics later but I'm not there yet.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon