Changer Both Ends _Pull Release

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Changer Both Ends _Pull Release

Post by Eldon »

Here's what I'm planning for the left side. The string will nest between the 2 lugs at "A". "B" is a cap screw that holds the string. It's simple and not hard to make. I've got the right hand set roughed out without polish as yet and I'm thinking that my first guitar should haver been a pull release just for the simplicity of the changer.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Eldon

Re: Changer Both Ends _Pull Release

Post by Eldon »

Here's the pic - hopefully?????
Attachments
left end_2d.jpg
left end_2d.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 2390 times

Eldon
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Looks good Eldon. Are you going to be able to get at the cap screw easily to lock the string? What have you got in mind to actually tighten the string to pitch? When you get it working you're going to like it. Way better sustain than any roller assembly I think mostly because of the mass of the finger and the fact that it's held on with a big axle rather than a tiny shaft through a bunch of rollers.
Cheers,
Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Eldon, that one shows promise. Usually it is the simple things that are best. I have heard so many good things about pull release that I more attuned to it now than I ever was.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Eldon, I don't mean to hijack your post, but could you or someone explain or post a drawing of how the pull release works. Maybe even direct me to a previous post on the subject so I can better understand what you are working on. I have read a lot of the materials on this site regarding pedal steels and it really has given me the itch to build one. I also love your thinking out of the box and using things that know one would dream of using for PSG's.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
burt

Post by burt »

There's some good info on the pull-release mechanism in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=508
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Mac,
I'm planning on tightening the string to pitch at the right hand end. I've prototyped the right side out of wood will be doing the same for the other. I don't see any problems in getting at the caps crew locking the string . Going real slow with this one, doing much more thinking than I usually do with any project.

Paul,
Burt has given a good link to follow however the mechanism I'm planning on using is different. The plan is to "pull" the right hand fingers for a raise and "push" the left ones for a lower. The ideas isn't mine but I'll search out the link for you maybe it was Mac I can't remember right now (a touch of OTD perhaps).

I'll post pics as I progress.

Eldon
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Thanks Burt, it is much appreciated. Hey Eldon, I'm only 54 and I have a hard time going from the basement to the main floor and remembering why I came up. What are the advantages of a pull-release system if you don't mind me asking.

Paul
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Paul,
I certainly don't mind you asking but I'm a bit out of my league when it comes to advantages of the PR system. All I can say is that when I first started looking at the system I was awestruck by the simplicity. I'm using a basic C6 copedant so it will work quite well for me. It probably took me 1/2 the building time to make my all pull changer, lots of mistakes of course. Unfortunately I can't be much more explicit that that.

There are others far wiser that i on the forum.

I'm attaching one of my sketches to show overall what I'm planning. If it's too big so I'm I'll split it into left/right sides.
Attachments
Right Side PR.jpg
Right Side PR.jpg (31.53 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Left Side PR.jpg
Left Side PR.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

Eldon
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

In case there is any confusion 1st sketch is right side the other is left.

Eldon