Bracket to clamp legs

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

Bracket to clamp legs

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi guy's , i'm at the stage where i have to figure how i'm gonna clamp the legs to the pedal bar,...here's what i came up with and would like some more advice if possible. :?
Attachments
pedal bar.JPG
pedal bar.JPG (31.15 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Pat Comeau

Re: Bracket to clamp legs

Post by Pat Comeau »

Here...i found a picture exactly the same method of clamping the legs has i'm planning to do, except i'm using a piece of angle for the plate to rest against. :)
Attachments
Leg%20Clamp.jpg
Leg%20Clamp.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Pat,
The picture is the way mine is. I would use the block,rather that angle because the angle will allow the slide plate to drop into the pedal bar, and may be a problem setting up in a low light situation. If you look closely, the slide is inside the pedal bar to keep in alignment. Also you need the clamping bolt as close to the leg as possible.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, here's how I did mine.
You'll see that I screwed a 1/2X 1/2" block to the plate to lessen the angle - makes for better clamping The plate is made from 1/4" material and has a rounded out portion to conform to the round leg - again better clamping power.
Also notice the collar I screwed to the leg above the rubber tip. I did some testing and with extreme pedal pushing I was able to make the pedal bar slide don the leg. So just to be sure I installed this extra insurance. It works well. The nut is a fancy looking wing nut I got at TSC. To me it looks s bit cooler than your ordinary wing nut.
clamp1.jpg
clamp1.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
clamp2.jpg
clamp2.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi guys and thanks for the info, Bill the picture i 've drawn is not exactly how it's suppose to be but just an exemple :P , the plate will be sitting inside flush to the rack for alignment and the angle is just a support for the plate and will be hold by the screw the same as the second picture. :)

Bent...that is a very neath clamping system you made :) , do you have to unscrew the wing nut totaly everytime you setup?, are those plastic wing nut for a 1/4 bolts?...and where did you say you got those?.

thanks..............Pat C.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, yes, I have to unscrew them. I made it that way because at the time I didn't have any way of making a neat slot for the bracket to slide in. So it's just a matter of unscrewing and putting the bracket back on the pedal bar. With a mill, I can''t see any reason not to make a spring loaded sliding slot.
Yes, the bolt and wing nut are 1/4" and I got the fancy wing nut at TSC stores (you have that down east?) If not, try Home Hardware. If THEY don't have it let me know and I'll send you a couple if you decide to go with it.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

A block would be better than using angle, as the block can be tapped for a full thread, so there is less chance of the thread stripping over many years of assembly/disassembly