Home made feel stops

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

Home made feel stops

Post by Pat Comeau »

Here's a feel stop i made today :) , i took piece of 3/8" aluminum rod and drilled a 1/8" hole in the middle and after i threaded the rod with a 3/8 tapper, cut to about 1 1/2 " long and screwed a 3/8 lock nut and used a coupling nut , bought the compression spring at Canadian Tire for a 1.00$ each, 1.59$ for the couplings total cost about 3.59$ plus tax, i had all the other stuff at home.:P
Attachments
Feel stop.jpg
Feel stop.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
jetmacjoe

Re: Home made feel stops

Post by jetmacjoe »

What is the idea behind the feel stop Pat? Is that so you can feel the tension build as you get closer to the end of the pedal travel?
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi,
the feel stop is for the second string D# , it is to feel the stop when it gets to a half note to D without over shooting it before going to a full note C# :) .

i hope i've explained it right :oops:

here's a pic i've stole from Bent :P
Attachments
feel stop.jpg
feel stop.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Joe, to explain the half-stop a bit further... This half stop is used on the 2nd and 9 strings, where you want to lower the 2nd from D# to D. This brings it in unison with the 9 string D at the half stop. As you push the knee lever further and overcome the spring tension on the half stop you lower the 9th string also and they both end up unison at C#

The pic is somewhat cluttered but you might see where the bell crank on the left-most lever will hit the bolt on the half stop when pushed. This bolt is threaded and is the means of tuning this string for it's D note
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.