CIMG0047.jpg (79.94 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
CIMG0078.jpg
CIMG0078.jpg (44.49 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
CIMG0029.jpg
CIMG0029.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Bent

Re: some pics of my first build

Post by Bent »

Now that's one solid hunk of GIT-tar! Won't be no cabinet drop in that baby! Great work for a first project, Joe!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Nice work Joe...that aluminum will look nice once it's buff to a shine ;) .

Pat C.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

i like that guitar , lots of aluminum very nice how much does it weigh i like them heavy myself , do you make your parts or buy them ?
joecam33

Post by joecam33 »

Thanks guys for you coments on my first build. I made all my parts myself all but the machine heads,fret borad,pickup,and the quick ball joints for the pedals. Not sure yet what it weighs but i can say,,,,you don't have to chase it around when playing LOL. Again thanks to everyone ,,,,,,,i'll post a few more pics of the things i built myself.
Attachments
CIMG0173~1.jpg
CIMG0173~1.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
CIMG0054.jpg
CIMG0054.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
CIMG0009.jpg
CIMG0009.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Joe...i see that you've made the same mistake as i did putting the tuning keys the wrong way :oops: ,no biggy :P i don't have any problems with them yet ...i kept them the wrong way cause to swap them i would have to rework the keyhead and it's all part of the neck :( ,my current project will have the tuners the right way ;) anyway nice work again :) Joe.

Pat c.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I like that changer design, whats the spec s on it if i may ask?
joecam33

Post by joecam33 »

azureskys wrote:I like that changer design, whats the spec s on it if i may ask?
,,,,,,I made the string distance 5/16 center to center,,,,,used 3/16 alum. for the roll overs,,,,not sure what the right term is but this is a very simple and easy changer to build,,,,,,the mount was out of 1/2 alum. i wanted a different look than what you see on other steels so i did a peak shape,,,,,if you want i will take measurements of all the components and let you know,,,,the roll overs have oil lite bronze bushings,,,,1/4 O.D ,3/16 I.D. ,3/16 LG. by using the oil lites i hope i want have to lube as often. well gotta go for now,,,talk to ya later
Attachments
CIMG0069.jpg
CIMG0069.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
CIMG0066.jpg
CIMG0066.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
CIMG0067.jpg
CIMG0067.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Joe, I love the looks of that changer head. It oozes of solidity and stability. It is "bolt-on" in the truest sense of the word. Are they bolts that go through to the underside, with nuts on the other end?
You can never go wrong with oillite bushings. I know of only one builder who does this (Fulawka) and when is the last time we heard of trouble with his changers?
Your sense for detail and personal touches is super. Take for instance the countersunk bolts and the read paint inside the aluminum.
I would love to see a pic of one of the changer finger mechanism. The "roll-over as you call it, is usually called the changer finger. The plates attached to it(the ones with the holes for the rods) are called the raise bar and the lower bar respectively. The two put together is called the "scissors" (if it is built the conventional way with a rivet for them to pivot on) I think you might have some surprise in store for us here.

What is the thickness of the wood parts? (like the top deck and aprons) What type of wood did you use? phew! so many questions!

The pic of the changer...the fingers appear to be somewhat flat on top? I hope it is just my own eyes playing tricks on me....
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

I hope that I'm not seeing things, but in the changer photo I can't see the scissors, it looks like one piece of metal, is this steel a pull-release?