2 B's Raised From A Problem

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

2 B's Raised From A Problem

Post by Eldon »

Gentlemen, I've run into a bit of a wrinkle. On my C6 tuning both pedals 4 and 7 raise an "A" to a "B". It looks like my double raise won't be able to accomodate 2 pull rods on the string number 4 changer finger.

The only thing I've been able to come up with so far is to rod one up normally and swag (swage) the changer end of the pullrod on the other one and do the adjustment under the guitar at the bellcrank.

Any other thoughts would be appretiated.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Georg

Re: 2 B's Raised From A Problem

Post by Georg »

I have had a "2 pedals pulling 1 pullrod" solution on my Dekley for decades - since -88, and it works perfectly. Think mine is pretty much like how it's done in push/pulls, so should be really simple to accomplish on any all-pull.

The way I have it is that the pullrod is hooked up normally on the bellcrank furthest from the changer - pedal 4 in your case - which is adjusted for the raise with the regular nylon-nut at the changer. The pullrod then goes through a hole through the center of an adjustable screw attached to the bellcrank closest to the changer, so this - pedal 7 in your case - can be tuned by screwing it to push against a stopper-piece locked with a set-screw at approximate position along the pullrod.

Once the throw on pedal nearest to the changer (p7) is tuned/timed in sync with the pedal furthest out (p4), the adjustment inside the body is left alone and can be fixed.

In mine the adjustable screw with a hole for the pullrod comes from a "brake-wire adjustment" on a bicycle. I only had to drill out the center-hole in the screw a little to let the pullrod through with good tolerance, and mount the entire "brake-wire adjustment" on the side of the relevant bellcrank (for p7 in your case) and make sure the pullrod ran straight all the way.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I have a article posted here that may help. I also started a new thread in this section as well .

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239

Here is another way I did it years ago . here is the link to a post with this drawing.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Attachments
2702_2raise2_1 (Medium) (Custom).jpg
2702_2raise2_1 (Medium) (Custom).jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

re: Scott saying ShoBud collars would be great... I had a few of these made up by my turner, Gary Lusk, for use as half stops on the 2nd/9th strings. They are 1/2" diam as opposed to 3/8" originals but serve the purpose.
Gary has said himself willing to make these, and other turnings for us as needed. Note: He is not a high speed production shop, but neither does he charge an arm and a leg.
collar~1.jpg
collar~1.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hey Bent!...how much is it for those half stops? :oops: ,...is it just the screw and bushing? :?

Pat C.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, let's say $10 per, plus postage. Please note, these are for 1/8" rod. That's the whole bushing yes. You'll need plastic washers, spring and a short piece of rod as well.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.