Fretboards - Making the Lines

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Fretboards - Making the Lines

Post by Eldon »

I was doing a bit of experimenting today and I think I'm going to paint my lines on using "Scotch Tape" for the masking. It adheres well and there is no paint bleed. I maked a few lines, painted and removed the tape. It worked well.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bent

Re: Fretboards - Making the Lines

Post by Bent »

Does that make nice sharp lines, not jagged? I used the green masking tape called painter's choice or something and it's not all that good
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Bent, the lines were sharp and I was totally surprised by the result. There was so little bleed that it's not even worth mentioning. I'll post a pic tomorrow the piece is still in the shop.

Eldon
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Here's my experimental photo.

1. Hole drilled (dull bit) showing raised bur.
2. Larger sharp drill gives a bit of a triangular edge.
3. 1/4 inch forsner bit started out dull it raised a bit of a bur that I cleaned up with a countersink.
4. Hole drilled through material bur cleaned as above.
5. 3 sets of dots made by dipping a 1/4 inch bolt in paint - no grgeat pains taken to make it look pretty.
6. Freehand with paintbrush.
7. & 9. Masked with "scotch" celophane tape. You can press the edge down tight and although the photo does not show it too well the real thing almost looks like a good silk screening job.
8. Masked with vinyl electrical tape.
10. Done with 1/4 inch bolt but care was taken re how much paint.

I'm going with 7 & 10 digital photo does not do the result justice.
Attachments
Frets_Markers.jpg
Frets_Markers.jpg (309.45 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

Eldon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Eldon, great experiment and a great job and also your 'invention' of using scotch tape. I am also impressed by the dot-making 'tool'!
What type of paint will you use? I used latex paint and it seemed to do the job. I lacquered right over it. But my edges weren't as sharp.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

I know it's not too "professional" but I've been printing my fretboards right off the computer. I use a vector drawing program called DRAWIT. I use that program for lots of drawing stuff. You can get really accurate drawings and they print out exactly the way they have been measured out on the screen. You can get down to about 1/64" resolution on the screen. The only nasty thing is it takes 2 sheets of photo paper to do the whole board. I join them right at the edge of a fret marker line so it's not visible hardly at all. Then I put it under 1/8" plexiglass and screw it onto the neck. Of course you can make them any colour you like, and have whatever markers you desire as well.
Attachments
Fretboard01.JPG
Fretboard01.JPG (13.82 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

I haven't done a painted fretboard for a long time but what I used was auto detailing tape. The kind that is made for pin striping. You put the tape in position and then the middle peels out to leave a masked area. That way you don't have to worry about getting the gaps even. It comes in all kinds of widths and it is made for masking so no worries about it bleeding or lifting.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Bent, I used a bit of my bride's tole painting acrylics for the freehand experiment and the rest was white Tremclad.

Mac, I like the plexiglass idea. I've got the notes on my lapsteel marked with little stick-on dots for reference - kinda like crutch or training wheels and they aren't removable. The plexi I could insert or leave off at will. Thanks for the idea! A sheet of acetate would also work I've seen them as blotter covers in business supply stores.

Allan, I'm going to scrouge some auto detailing tape from my neighbour & give it a try.
It seems that it might be a bit tricky getting the fret position accurate though.

Eldon
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Eldon.. What I called plexiglas is I guess really acrylic sheet from Home Depot. I'm not too smart when I think of plastic stuff. I use it for lots of things. I made my pickup top and bottom plates from that too. Just paint it with lacquer on the underside first any colour you like. Looks fine to me. I've also made electric guitar pickguards from it. If you get the really thin stuff (thinner than 1/8") it's hard to tell whether the colour is on the bottom or the top.
Cheers,
Mac
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Allan, Thanks for the fretboard template you sent me the other day. I checked the calculations and measurements on what you sent me and everything was right on the money. Cellophane tape works great will post pic when I'm done. So far this has been the easiest way to "fret a fretboard".

Eldon