P/P "dominant raise" simulation on all-pull..?

If it has Pedals...
Georg

P/P "dominant raise" simulation on all-pull..?

Post by Georg »

I plan to add a "B" to "A" lower pedal left of the regular "B" to "C#" raise pedal - part of what's known as "the Franklin change". However, I want the regular "B" to "C#" raise pedal to override the "B" to "A" lower pedal in such a way that if I push down both pedals I get a "C#", and when I release the raise pedal slowly and keep pushing the lower I get an even slide from "C#" to "A" - two whole notes down.

I think such a "dominant raise" is how a P/P changer works - hence the subject, but how would any of you solve this on an all-pull?

There's also the slightly complicating factor that I already have a "B" to "Bb" lower on a lever, with split-rod so I get a "C" when I push the regular raise pedal and the lower lever simultaneously. I don't want to lose or detune this pedal/lever combination.
Scott Howard

Re: P/P "dominant raise" simulation on all-pull..?

Post by Scott Howard »

Here is a link with the push / pull Emmons type . I think it would take redesigning the finger / scissor if possible . I have never gave it much thought. Could someone use P/P parts on just whatever strings you want this feature on ?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CAcQ9QEwAA
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I have a idea . How about a long string finger with a hook at the bottom. Going to draw a picture and scan it .
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Here is what I cam up with . I did not draw all the exact features of the all pull type as in my idea you leave the top part exactly like the original. On the new one extend the other side of the finger the string hooks to down far enough to hook a pull rod at the bottom. It will have to be thin enough to clear the existing pull rods and not create any binding . I could see it as possible and would also add another pull to say a double Raise / lower changer.

The problem I see is it would loose the split when using the override side. It seems to always come down to a give and take.

I am not the best at getting my point across , but I see it in my head.
Attachments
PP idea (Small).JPG
PP idea (Small).JPG (9.55 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
Georg

Post by Georg »

First: I am reluctant to consider modifications to the changer itself, simply because I want to be able to install such a "dominant raise", or even a "dominant lower", on any string and pedal combination. I can't imagine ever wanting/needing to install more than one or two such "dominant change" in a PSG, but I need something that can be installed in otherwise normal all-pull PSGs without modifying them into "push-pull all-pull hybrids".

My initial thought was to extend the new lower-rod with a spring, and push/hold this spring back (out of action) with a reverse mechanism on the raise pedal's bellcrank axle. To get a spring-loaded lower rod to land precisely when the raise is released, I would put a solid "stop for full lower" for the rod, so the spring could have a little excessive pull with lower-pedal fully down. The actual lower-adjustment would then be on a nylon-nut at the changer, like all other changes.

I know such a "spring-loaded lower rod" would work technically, but I also expect it to be heavy pedal-pushes and somewhat complex mechanics. Trying to figure out if - 'a' - there's a better way, or - 'b' - how to make such a mechanism as small, smooth-working and light on pedals/levers as possible.

Open to any ideas, however strange, but let me keep my all-pull changer, please :)
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hoooo boy! This one's complicated. Georg, maybe a clear drawing of your initial idea w/ explanation would be of help. Use a black pen for clarity.

"I plan to add a "B" to "A" lower pedal left of the regular "B" to "C#" raise pedal "..From this I gather that you play the Jimmy Day setup? Or do you mean "to the left of" facing the front of the guitar? Just need to know in order to try and get my head around the problem.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Scott, your idea is good and will work. Sorry it doesn't quite fit into my "keep the original all-pull changer" plans.

Bent, I play "Emmons", and see the pedals from the player's side. So the new pedal will be left of the "A" pedal - closer to the keyhead end, in what's often called "0" position for "0-A-B-C".

I'll sketch down my original idea in a moment.
Bent

Post by Bent »

ok Georg. That explains it better
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Most accurate sketch I could draw in a few minutes...
Left out all "non-essential" parts/details.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Anyone knows where to get strong, thin-walled, tubes that are just wide enough inside so they can can slide on a pull-rod? I need some 10 cm (4 inch) long tubes that I can solder onto a piece of rod, and let another piece of rod slide into the other end of the tube until it bottoms.

Think of the assembled rod as one that can push but not pull... ;)

I need such a push-rod in order to shrink the "dominant raise" mechanics shown in my drawing, so it fits in the limited space between bellcranks and adjacent pull-rods.