My first pedal steel attempt

If it has Pedals...
burt

Re: My first pedal steel attempt

Post by burt »

When I was making my home-made steels, I always put 3 or 4 tapped holes in the pedals, to give me more options when setting the pedal action up.

It got me in the ballpark a lot quicker than fiddling with bellcrank locations etc.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Burt,

Thanks for your interest in my efforts, it's appreciated, I have put extra holes in the pedals, in the photo's they are in the middle position, there are other tapped holes 1/2" further in and 1/2" further out, if they aren't enough I will make more positions.

Best Regards Ron Mc
burt

Post by burt »

That's good, Ron, I didn't realise you had already put in the extra holes.

3 positions will probably be ample
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Ron,

Reference threaded inserts for the springs on the changer fingers, you said:

I thought about making the inserts as a 'screw in' fitting, but the id of the spring didn't match up with the core size of any of my taps and dies so I took the easy way out, also the inserts I made will only screw into the spring so far, whereas the screwed inserts would probably screw in farther and perhaps reduce the spring length too much.

It was me who posted on the SGF the idea of custom made inserts. I couldn't find any the right diameter either, so I machined them from brass rod on my little lathe. I cut reverse threads on the outside to match the spring pitch, but you're wrong about them moving. The friction created as they wind themselves into the spring makes sure that, once in, they don't budge. :lol:

Those inserts went in my old Marlen when I fitted an all-pull changer. The guitar is now with another owner, and he hasn't reported any problems. They've been in for about 3 years now.

This steel is looking lovely. Ready by April?

Will
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Met Dave (sheffield steel) today, he gave me some good advice and help with my steel.

Thanks Dave it was and is much appreciated.

Best Regards Ron Mc
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi Ron, glad to have been of service my friend. Dave :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3