Blackbird to replace Amber

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Re: Blackbird to replace Amber

Post by Bent »

Dave, thanks so much. I've said it before but will say it again: It feels great to hear this from a builder of your stature.
Storm, my friend and encouraging ally, thanks once more buddy.
Richard, I Like your idea but sorry, too late. The buyer wanted black vinyl.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Just a couple of assembly pics:
assembly-(2)S.jpg
assembly-(2)S.jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
assembly-(3)S.jpg
assembly-(3)S.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
assembly-(5)S.jpg
assembly-(5)S.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

I am going to make an offer which, hopefully, you cannot refuse.

Here's my offer: - I WILL PAY for the cost of materials, your time and that of a seamstress involved IF you will have a pad made with a heavy, paisley print material which will complement the colors of the body of the guitar. Were it me, I would add a bit of cording around the perimeter at the upper edge using the same material as the body of the pad. This would roughly delineate a rectangular "box" as opposed to the stretched and rounded configuration usually found on such pads. Come to think of it - and for my purposes - you wouldn't even have to mount the pad but just lay it in place.

All that I ask, in return, is that you post a photo - or two, or three - of the finished product on this forum. My generosity is prompted by the elegance of your cabinet which, in my opinion, would suffer a detraction were a black, vinyl pad installed.

To be sure, your customer may insist upon the black, vinyl pad but that is his/her prerogative since they are the one paying the bill. Further, nothing will be lost (except for a dent in my bank account) as a result of this exercise. I would be most interested in comments, pro and con, by the members.

Please give this offer serious consideration - assuming that you have the time to invest in it - and reply at your convenience. Method of payment would be at your pleasure.

Respectfully - and dead serious about this -

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard,
Rodding today. Came in for a beer and saw your post. Your offer is most generous and inventive. I will take you up on it just to see what it looks like. Sadly though, this experiment won't be feasible for this guitar, as I am hustling to get it done, the buyer is coming from Massachusetts next weekend to pick it up.
I am sure my upholsterer will have no problem making this. We can certainly make one and rig it up on a box made of the same wood as Blackbird, or better still, send it to the buyer and he can install it and take pics.
What I need from you is:
What type of paisley pattern? (google Paisley)
What color(s)?
What type material and how heavy?
The cord - ALL around upper edge?
One thing to keep in mind maybe: My pads do not run end to end...only from the 10th tuner to the changer axle.

Anything is possible my friend. Thanks for your generous offer!
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

I'm chompin' at the bit on this one.

I would envision, simply, a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood with high density rubber or synthetic foam glued to all sides. Even 1/4" would work as the end result might be "softer" to one's arm. This would give it its' "shape". Your upholsterer would then custom fit the covering to your plywood/foam assembly. Yes - apply the "roping", "piping", "cording" (or whatever you want to call it) ALL the way around the upper perimeter. The heaviest material available. You'd probably want to Scotch Gard it, also.

Since you have been coming up with gorgeous woods in combination, I would suggest that we wait until your next build until we conduct the "experiment". As to the color, I can only suggest that you carry the cabinet to your upholsterer and place it beside the fabrics that they might have in stock. The decision will have been made should one of the fabrics just "grab you"!
imagesCAD5VUQG.jpg
imagesCAD5VUQG.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
I've attempted to post just a couple of many images that I found on the "net". SO many to choose from! As I've said, when you place the cabinet against the available fabrics, the choice will probably be made for you. Forgive the double post on one fabric.

Can't wait, my friend! Keep me posted!

Richard
imagesCAD5VUQG.jpg
imagesCAD5VUQG.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Attachments
images1.jpg
images1.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard, a poll should be done on this as to people's tastes. I venture that this pattern is not for everybody. One thing for sure: It's not for me. Too busy and too ornate, overstated if you will. That doesn't mean I won't do the experiment with you - I have been wrong before (actually just once, and I was only mistaken :-) )

My taste would go more in the direction of light brown, soft calf skin.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent
That pick-up/changer housing looks real nice! I would venture to guess that
that steel will have good tone! In the pic. it looks like the pup is mounting
to a al. plate at the bottom of the pup cavity and a little above the wood deck.
The fact that it is not mounted directly to the wood should give good sound
and not pick up much body noise!
Wayne
Bent

Post by Bent »

Wayne, thanks. Yes, the pup goes on the plate which hangs in the 3 screws that are spring loaded. I don't know, buy I theorize that a single coil put which tends to be noisy, is offered extra shielding being surrounded by metal on sides and bottom. In addition, I use copper foil to shield the windings as well.
The fact that the pup is suspended that way might help cut down on microphonics, yes. However, microphonics is best controlled by waxing the pickup.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent wrote:Wayne, thanks. Yes, the pup goes on the plate which hangs in the 3 screws that are spring loaded. I don't know, buy I theorize that a single coil put which tends to be noisy, is offered extra shielding being surrounded by metal on sides and bottom. In addition, I use copper foil to shield the windings as well.
The fact that the pup is suspended that way might help cut down on microphonics, yes. However, microphonics is best controlled by waxing the pickup.
Yes Bent, also the brass fingers may affect the tone a bit!
Wayne
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Bent my friend, your guitars are evolving, this one looks even better than the last and the mechanics, WOW! What can I say, " EYE CANDY" "BEAUTIFUL" INDEED.

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3