My first pedal steel attempt

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

Re: My first pedal steel attempt

Post by azureskys »

I noticed your pedal setup , how it attaches to the rod just slip it on and the weight will hold it in place , I have a guitar in the works with the same pedal arrangement, very nice . Russ
Jif

Post by Jif »

Ron, that is looking great :D

I'll need to tap into your experience when I eventually get around to a pedal steel.

I believe Albert Einstein said -

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Another little bit further, banding added and a bit polishing. :)

Regards to all Ron Mc
Attachments
tn_DSCF0755.JPG
tn_DSCF0755.JPG (378.69 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

LOOOOOOOOKING GOOOOOOOOOD!!!! Ron, keep up the good work.

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

I have made up some adaptors to fit in the ends of 'stock' springs to use as return springs on the fingers. They require a bit of a push to fit on but are impossible to remove without destroying the spring. :o :o :o

Ron Mc
Attachments
tn_DSCF0769.JPG
tn_DSCF0769.JPG (326.88 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
tn_DSCF0770.JPG
tn_DSCF0770.JPG (320.04 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
tn_DSCF0768.JPG
tn_DSCF0768.JPG (295.68 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Ron, I LOVE YOUR IDEA WITH THE ADJUSTABLE SPRINGS! GREAT!!!!!!!

Dave. :ugeek:
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hey Ron,

I love what your doing, I may even steal a few of your ideas. Beautiful workmanship. Keep the photos coming.

Paul
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Your welcome to use any of my idea's, after all I'm using everyone else's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Regards to all Ron Mc
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

I read on another forum where somebody did something similar to you as regards the adjustable springs. He made inserts like yours, but were threaded to screw into the spring, and he drilled and threaded the center for the bolts. Somebody made a comment that they looked like wood inserts, and gave a link. So, I went over to the local hardware store and purchased some, and they worked in some tremolo tension springs that I have. The springs have too much tension, so I purchased some weaker springs, but oddly enough they screw the opposite direction, so, the inserts will not work. I did something different on my guitar for now, but, plan to come back to doing something similar to what you're doing.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

You can match up the diameter of the inserts with the springs, and because the insert is threaded there is no way it is going to slip out, but, you can easily remove them, or put them back in, any time needed.

BTW, the PSG you're building is beautiful! :)

Elektro
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Electro,

I thought about making the inserts as a 'screw in' fitting, but the id of the spring didn't match up with the core size of any of my taps and dies so I took the easy way out, also the inserts I made will only screw into the spring so far, whereas the screwed inserts would probably screw in farther and perhaps reduce the spring length too much.

Thanks for your interest, all this discussions and comments makes for further thought. :) :) :)