New project - 'Amber'

If it has Pedals...
richard37066

Re: New project - 'Amber'

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

Our respective sources seem to not agree with each other. In an effort to verify my original source, I went to Wikipedia. Thus:

Quilt or quilted maple refers to a type of "figure" in maple wood. It is seen on the tangential plane (flat-sawn) and looks like a wavy "quilted" pattern, often similar to ripples on water. It is a distortion of the grain pattern itself. Prized for its beauty, it is used frequently in the manufacturing of musical instruments especially guitars. Quilted maple is an end grain figure that shows a circular pattern on flat sawn material. There are many terms that describe the shape and pattern of quilted maple. Aka popcorn, tubular, sausage, bubble wrap, angle step.

High quality (3A grade or above) quilted maple can be extremely expensive. A standard guitar billet made of 5A (premium) quilted maple costs a few hundred dollars.

It would appear that my original source was innacurate as regards "rift" sawn lumber in that they equated it with slab-sawn. To confuse the issue even further, I ask you to look at the cuts labeled "rift" in the diagram that you posted. The axes of all of the pieces point toward the center of the log - its' axis. This, to me, is true "quarter-sawn" in that the direction of the cut is perpendicular to grain. In the instance of that labeled "quarter", there is only one piece (out of 9) that I would consider suitable for the top of a well-made acoustic or classic guitar - that being the center piece, its' grain running vertical to the plane of the wood.
sawn_wood.jpg
sawn_wood.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
220px-Quilted-maple_back-wood.jpg
220px-Quilted-maple_back-wood.jpg (21.44 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
From one of the attachments above, it appears that it is in direct conflict with your diagram as regards "rift" sawing. Who do we believe? And yes, my term - slab-sawn - is, indeed, that which your diagram labels as "flat-sawn". Confusion reigns.

No matter. Our collective diagrams and photos show the possible cuts of lumber to be had. 'Tis said that a picture is worth a thousand words. If that be so, then any of us can cart a diagram or photo to a lumber yard and say "This is what I want" - with a finger appropriately placed.

Richard
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:roll: Yeah ,but chances are, if u ain't got the dinero to buy the whole log or timber they are cutting, you'll take what they saw out of it and like it....or go home and break out the Elmer's and construction paper (and make your own lumber)...............Stormy ;)
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Stormy -

Of course, your right. However, in thinking about builders like Bent, those who build one after another, I would think it prudent to "stock up" on supplies. Make one trip and be set for the duration. Even so, the "dinero" problem may be an impediment.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Stormy, Good one! Comic relief always takes the edge off.
Richard, In theory, that's right. In practical life, all the roadblocks crop up: Lack of Dinero like Storm says; it's bad economy to sit with a big inventory this day and age; I build my steels for a rather reasonable price so adding $200 to the price with fine quarter sawn also speaks for bad economy, when the same cab can be made pretty in its own way from plain sawn lumber from my local supplier. I appreciate that he lets me pick and choose. Trouble is he usually does not sit with a huge stock of planed lumber, and rough stock is near impossible to detect the amount of birdseyes and curlies.

Also, I don't believe that I can be put in the same cubbyhole as the Bruce Zumtegs among us who REALLY build "one after the other". My total so far is 4 (not counting the prototype.

To me it is a hobby on a serious level, more like a labour of love.
BTW - that quilted Maple guitar is to die for isn't it?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

I fully understand your position. Sure would be nice to have a barn full of lumber from which to pick and choose. And speaking of that, you're fortunate to have a supplier who will let you get picky about things. My suggestion concerning the well-configured cabinet scraper has merit. It can be a bit tricky getting a consistent "curl" at the edge but, when done properly, will get rid of the "fuzzies" in a hurry. I've not truly mastered the sharpening technique but when I get close it's a wonderful tool to have. Could you attempt to use it on lumber that you have in house? Might be an eye-opener.

I posted the picture of the arch-top guitar as just one example of how beautiful natural wood can be. And yes, I'd LOVE to own it! Would probably spend more time looking at it than playing it.

In any case - and for those interested - the question of the various cuts of wood is pretty much solved with our collective diagrams and photos. Although there's a ton of photos on the 'net of various woods, none depict the various cuts available. Sure would be nice.

Although "Amber" is just gorgeous and should finish up in wonderful fashion, I wonder if you've considered using MOP inlays such as Dave is using. Much more expensive I would imagine. Just curious.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard - as for Amber, she is history. When we didn't get the right shade of amber from the stain I used (too yellow on curly Maple) , after other trials we decided that I build him a brand new cabinet.
This one should prove to be just as interesting: Walnut front and back. walnut neck and birdseye maple top. I'll post a couple of pics when I get the cabinet together

Don't know if I want to try the cabinet scraper thing. You get pretty much the same result with a keen planer blade. Besides, I wonder what will happen to those eyes in the birdseye maple. They tear out so easily and when that happens, another pile of firewood.

Yes, Dave really does a wonderful job with the Abalone inlays. Don't know if that's for me- yet. It would be another learning curve inlaying all those small pieces There is a huge variety of regular wood inlay banding on several web sites. The most recent ones I got from Constantine's in Florida.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.