string space

If it has Pedals...
Georg

Re: string space

Post by Georg »

louckswayne wrote:I love the Emmons sound! Wouldnt change a thing.
I like the Emmons sound too, but not the instrument. So, I've got no choice but to change everything.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Georg -

You inadvertantly brought up a subject which should be resolved by the powers that be. I refer to the two systems of measurement that are currently being used and which conflict with each other. My background allows me to easily switch between and convert between the two. Most do not have that luxury. It makes all of the sense in the world to adopt the metric system where EVERYTHING is a multiple of 10 as opposed to the mix which we have to endure.

The current mix of American Standard and Metric in the goods that we buy can be somewhat disconscerting at times. Need to replace that bolt that worked loose in your lawnmower? Looks like a 1/4-20, maybe a 1/4-28, or is it really a 6mm? What a PITA!

Enough of my rant.

Richard
Georg

Post by Georg »

richard37066 wrote:Georg -

You inadvertantly brought up a subject which should be resolved by the powers that be. I refer to the two systems of measurement that are currently being used and which conflict with each other. My background allows me to easily switch between and convert between the two. Most do not have that luxury. It makes all of the sense in the world to adopt the metric system where EVERYTHING is a multiple of 10 as opposed to the mix which we have to endure.
Sure does, but I don't think sense plays much of a role in these matters. The Metric system takes over where it matters - to avoid crashing more crafts into Mars and similar, while the mix of "local standards" and the Metric system will live (un)happily where the consequences of getting it wrong are not so great - for building cars, steel guitars and such :D
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

You need a complete set of both kinds of wrenches now. What a cheese-off when something new shows up and you have to use a clunky adjustable.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

My Sheffield is 8.5mm centers, where as most other steels are, as affore said 11/32" (8.75mm, I think?).

Dave
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3