Steel Project #4

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Re: Steel Project #4

Post by Bent »

Storm, news to me about the nitro, and just goes to show I should keep my yap shut when I'm not sure :-)
Thanks for your remark!
Here is the fruits of today's labor...
polishbod2.jpg
polishbod2.jpg (91.63 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi Guys,

MANY ROADS, BUT ONLY ONE DESTINATION.

HOW WE GET THERE IS NOT IMPORTANT, SO LONG AS THE END RESULT IS THE ONE YOU WANT, THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS, IMHO.

BENT, SHE IS LOOKING MIGHTY FINE.

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:D Yo brother Bent, I certainly didn't know when nitro lacquer came along, however I was curious so ....Wiki-pedia is our friend...hehehe. Dave, my thoughts perzactly......Stormy :mrgreen:
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Hey, Guys -

Educate this old man.

I reckemember from building a few classic guitars that ordinary lacquer is relatively soft. Is nitrocellulose a harder, more durable material? If so - and over the long run - would it be more susceptable to cracking, "checking"?

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard,
The lacquer I use is instrument lacquer, nitrocellulose based. The fact that it is "Instrument" means that it is formulated for acoustic guitars and so on - instruments with thin walls, prone to bending etc. The lacquer bends right along with the wood(to an extent) so this in turn prevents cracking and checking compared to other finishes. The tendency for bending etc is not as bad on a pedal steel made of way thicker material than an acoustic guitar(hey unless you have bad cabinet drop!!!)
The finish should not be thought of as soft, but rather flexible.
When I sanded it with 3 different grits (yes Pat, I went up to 1500) and 2 different grit swirl removers, I found out how hard it really is. Like they say: Harder than Japanese Arithmetic!
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

Per usual, you explained it to my satisfaction. Won't hesitate to use it.

'Preciate it.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Quiet around here. Maybe everybody's busy with their project. I know I am. Can't think of anything else but to get this thing assembled, set up and adjusted. Another month and it HAS to be up and running.
Here are 3 pics from the assembly. Got the rodding almost done today - 9 hour day!
assemb~under.jpg
assemb~under.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
assembKhdend.jpg
assembKhdend.jpg (95.8 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
assemb~full.jpg
assemb~full.jpg (98.94 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Bent , that guitar sure looks good, whoever gets it is gonna be very happy Im sure . Russ
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

Really like your changer mount and Alumitone pickup.

We've discussed string height above the fretboard before here on the forum and there's been no concrete reason for any dimension given. So be it.

Curious, though - what was your thinking in placing your strings so sky-high on this instrument? Was it dictated, in part, by your changer mount design?

Teach me.

Regards,

Richard
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Beautiful job Bent :) ,

is the bearing plate notch in the front apron?, the guitar is coming together real nice.

Pat C ;)