My first pedal steel attempt

If it has Pedals...
shobudmaverick

Re: My first pedal steel attempt

Post by shobudmaverick »

Great looking steel.That is awesome for a first attempt.I would say you are off to a very good start.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

A little further progress with the fretboard layout added and the top deck routed.

The fretboard is mahogany, the inlays are 'inlay stickers' and the 'frets' are done with car lining striping, all of which appears to stick like crazy to the varnished mahogany. I may cover the board with a thin 'Lexan' when the steel is finished.

Regards to all Ron Mc
Attachments
tn_DSCF0592.JPG
tn_DSCF0592.JPG (377.31 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Beautiful inlay work on the fretboard, Ron. I cannot believe it's the first time you have attempted something like this, it looks too professional. :P

I have to do my work out in the garage, and it's too damn cold out there just now to get anything useful done!

Will C
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

fret board is very nice.Your changer can lower and raise ?What would you call it ? a pull release ? There a industrial plastic called delrin , it can be used for bushings that would work on your changer fingers , it pretty tough and wont absord moisture like nylon, just something to consider .
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi the changer is 'pull to raise' and 'pull to lower', flat 'delrin' doesn't appear very easy to obtain here but I will bear it in mind for my next project.

Thanks
Ron Mc
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Direct Plastics do Acetal sheet and many other plastics. They are quick and sensibly priced. Call 0845 838 3318.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Progress on my 'pedal steel', so far so good, everything is still so much in the 'raw' and I am only 'offering up' to see where adjustments, mods, etc are required.

The top is in Maple and the sides are African mahogany, I have inserted 'biscuit' joints but have as yet to glue, I will try and keep my progress posted in case of interest.

Best Regards and a Happy New Year to all.

Ron Mc
Attachments
tn_DSCF0737.JPG
tn_DSCF0737.JPG (353.44 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
tn_DSCF0735.JPG
tn_DSCF0735.JPG (426.26 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
tn_DSCF0733.JPG
tn_DSCF0733.JPG (373.27 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Lookin' great, nice machine work! I assume those are adjustable bell cranks...they look like the ones Linkon used to sell (link below)

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 0a30af337f

Do they work like the one seen in the link above?

Thanks and Happy Dang New Year!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Ron , that guitar is looking good , keep us posted on your progress. :D Russ
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Thanks Russ,
yes Ross the cranks are intended to be adjustable, well, that's the theory but having spent all my life in engineering I often found that 'Practice invariably confounds Theory'.
As I said before this is all 'suck it and see' and I must admit I am enjoying the project. This website has certainly given me a lot of encouragement and advice and for that I am grateful.
The standard of work produced by many of the members does raise the bar and gives something to aim for.

Regards to all
Ron Mc