MSA Keyless # 3

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

Re: MSA Keyless # 3

Post by Scott Howard »

The best one I have bought yet . Very nice work by the builder of the Lamar guitar . I saw the guitar he built for Ross and contacted him . Great to deal with and grade AAA+++++ work.

http://www.lamarsteelguitars.com/
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

It is shaping up and I have run into a slight problem. I bought a 1" piece of aluminum to make the changer / pickup mount out of and it is about the thickness of the mica too thin. I am going to the cabinet shop tomorrow to make the neck a shade thinner.
Attachments
Feb06500.JPG
Feb06500.JPG (91.06 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Feb06499.JPG
Feb06499.JPG (79.35 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Full view . Just a little on the belt sander and I will be ready to drill and tap for 2 screws in the front that will come up from the bottom and then start polishing. Going to work on the bottom of the neck later today .
Attachments
Feb07506.JPG
Feb07506.JPG (74.57 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
Feb07508.JPG
Feb07508.JPG (92.93 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

After a trip to the neighbor's cabinet shop ( see picture's ) the neck was fixed in just a few minutes. We put duct tape on the mica side and ran it through the drum sander until it was the correct thickness. :D

I have never done much wood working but to me it is like anything else, Having the proper tools , equipment and a little guidance from someone who nows what they are doing , goes a long way towards getting proffesional results. I am good freinds with them so when I get ready to do my maple cabinet this will be where I am going. It is less than a 1/4 of a mile away .

I have the pickup plate almost done and ready to polish . I have the fret board trimed and mounted. I was able to buy a 25" scale from Show Pro . It is Sho Bud markers and for a ten string but I just centered it from front to back and lined the 12th fret at half way.
Attachments
Feb08509.JPG
Feb08509.JPG (77.65 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Feb08513.JPG
Feb08513.JPG (93.3 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Last edited by Scott Howard on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Here is the shop I plan to use to build my curly maple guitar some day. It is 40' x 120' and has about anything I will ever need for woodworking.
Attachments
Feb08511.JPG
Feb08511.JPG (82.71 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Feb08512.JPG
Feb08512.JPG (99.87 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Feb08510.JPG
Feb08510.JPG (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Look at all that bench space! Orgasmic! That's what I am missing. I have all the tools in the world but I have to set them up as I need them then move 'em out of the way for the next thing. All I can leave up is the table saw, the router table and the pillar drill. I would kill for that much bench space. Some of my stuff is on stands with castors so I can pull it out to use it but that makes me drool!

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Allan
From where I was standing I took a picture of one side of the shop. That is just half because I was standing at the middle beam . The other side has the spray booth and more counter space . If I don't get a nice maple body it will have to be my own fault.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Grrrrrrrr...

I would settle for that half in the pic and be happy! Ye're a lucky man to have access to a place like that.
I am GREEN with jealousy!

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Here is a before and after picture. I am almost ready to start underneth and I want to do my dual use knee levers so it will take me a little while . I am very pleased with it so far.
Attachments
Feb08531.JPG
Feb08531.JPG (83 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
MSA Before.JPG
MSA Before.JPG (19.25 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I just ordered the Wallace Truetone pickup . As soon as I get it , I plan making sure that everything fits with the pickup pocket. Then I plan on starting with the knee levers and at least one and maybe 2 dual purpose pedals.

With the B pedal being a good 6th pedal it will not have a switch. I plan on the C pedal and doubling it with a 6th pedal.

The one knee lever I did on my Double neck has given no problems at all. I just don't have a good name for the dual purpose changer.(any Suggestions?) I plan on 3 regular knee levers being changable between E9th and B6th and one doing 2 E9th pulls. The vertical may get a dual setup also but I will have to do some more thinking . To do a dual purpose it takes 2 crossrods for knee's but 3 for pedals .

I have in the past used a wrist lever and thought of a 5th string B to Bb on it to serve as the normal 6th lever and the popular 9th lever. I still have to count and figure on the setup.

When I get all my parts made for the dual pedal I will start another thread on it. I plan on taking a week off to assemble it when all parts are made.