Have you ever cast your own parts

If it has Pedals...
shobudmaverick

Have you ever cast your own parts

Post by shobudmaverick »

I want to hear from some of you that have tried casting parts for your own projects.Did it turn out well and after casting it did it require much if any milling to get it right for your guitar?I know the polishing part can be difficult but in general has casting worked for some of you?I would be interested in seeing some pictures of different things you have cast such as endplates and keyheads and even necks.
azureskys

Re: Have you ever cast your own parts

Post by azureskys »

I have done casting and I did post on the forum with some pic s look back through my post you should find some end plates and a few other things .
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

Ok I will check it out and see what all I can find.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Shobud ===
Go back to page 8 and check the posts about sand casting. I have a few posts about that very subject. Bent, and a few others were asking some questions, and I tried to answer what I could. I done some casting in the past, if you read all of them you will learn some about my past. Some pedals I cast and some I welded...... Mike Farmer
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I went and checked those old post out.I enjoyed reading them and I feel like I have a little bit better of an idea of some of the casting methods.I am considering trying to cast some simple things maybe in a few months or just whenever I find time to mess with it so Im gonna keep looking at these post on this forum.I dont know a whole lot about casting so time for a dumb question can you cast endplates with space left out for the nylon tuners or do you have to cast them solid and mill out that space later?
Bent

Post by Bent »

shobud, You can also go on youtube and look up two people: "myfordboy" and "mrpete" or tubalcain as he calls himself.
myfordboy is all about casting and mr pete is a retired shop teacher, a VERY knowledgeable man who instructs in not only casting but also machining. A huge wealth of information here - for free!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Bent, I am glad that you chimed in as I was going to suggest the same thing. and to Shobud, you would cast the endplates complete then mill out the end for the tuning screws... by the way, go back and check a lot of the old posts, you can gleen a lot of information that you can use, and as always ask here as you already have...
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

Yes I will for sure be checking out a ton of the older post I enjoy reading all the great inormation.I am gonna check out the videos mentioned here as well.
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

Im guessing necks are like endplates you have to cast them whole and then mill out the place for the changer and pickup as well as the underside.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Yes, Sb, that's how it is likely done with the holes. But from what I have seen of alum. necks, the underside is all cast . You would make a wooden mold with the hollowed out part and everything.Study those guys' videos and see how they make a split casting with two boxes(flasks) with casting sand. Pretty neat stuff!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.