Pedal Steel Arm Pad

If it has Pedals...
na4it

Pedal Steel Arm Pad

Post by na4it »

On pedal steels with arm pads, does the pad sit level with the strings, or level with the top of the neck? Think about building a D8 console, and would like to have that feature on it.

Scott, the novice steeler...
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Bent

Re: Pedal Steel Arm Pad

Post by Bent »

Don't know if there is a standard, but for me, I make the pad match the height of the C6 strings if they had been there. In other words, the top of the pad sits 1/4" below the level of the E9th strings
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Scott -

I have a feeling that this falls within the category of "personal preference". On the Dekley that I'm rebuilding, the first pad that I made sat even with the strings. I found it to be uncomfortable - for me - and commenced to fabricate a second one which sits slightly above the fretboard. I almost made a fatal mistake in committing to the final version on the first try. Fortunately, I was able to salvage the embossed vinyl that I used and was able to use it on the second. Given my "aw, crap" moment, I would suggest making a mockup and giving it a test run. A little trial and error never hurt anything. Seems like my position is just about where Bent describes his preference.

Richard
gamac

Post by gamac »

On the subject of arm pads for the back neck, is there anyone who is making these at a reasonable price.

Last one I had made was by a guy in Alabama, but his name eludes me at the moment. That was
about ten years ago.