RogerDodger from BenRom

If it has Pedals...
Bent

RogerDodger from BenRom

Post by Bent »

So named by his new owner, Roger, from North Bay Ont., this BenRom will be born wrapped in a nice birdseye maple cabinet.
I have most of the parts made. There won't be any new earth shattering features, just your regular BenRom style with the usual 4 and 5 and split tuners and neutral stop screws which can also serve as primary raise tuners. For this first post I just wanted to show you all some pics of a neat little riveting tool I came up with. For all I know, many of you might already have made this little piece already, to make the job of riveting easier.
I just ground a 3/8" shank from a broken end mill to a blunt point and press fit it into a 1/2" piece of aluminum. This apparatus stands in between the jaws and the point goes into the hollow rivet. I close the jaws and expand the rivet - plain and effective. The nice part about this set up is that I have good control...as I crank the vise I pivot the lowering arm. Just when I feel that the play is all but gone and the part becomes sticky, I let off the jaw and presto done deal
rivetTool.jpg
rivetTool.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
rivetTool~working.jpg
rivetTool~working.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
chgrAssembld.jpg
chgrAssembld.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Farmer

Re: RogerDodger from BenRom

Post by Farmer »

Way to go Mr. Bent, my friend. Isn't it cool how the mind comes up with things to make your job easier. No doubt in my mind that this one will be as beautiful as the others are.....
Mike
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Another simple but effective tool from the fertile mind of Mr. Romnes. Makes the job quicker and easier, doesn't it Bubba?

Richard
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT! I also like the bearing idea! As you know Bent my friend I'm a BIG advocate for the use of bearings.

Keep up the good work.

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
burt

Post by burt »

Bent,
I take it that you have stopped using chicago screws for your changer finger pivots?
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Neat lil thingy you got there, this is what separates the guessers from the do'ers, way to go Bent.

Dave, Every time I look at a new project of your's, I am in awe of your cabinet making skills, and as with Bent,all your attention to detail.

A little "heads up" to all on the forum......When/if you ever purchase a retired/deceased machinist tool box, never ever throw anything away no mater how weird, or off the wall looking (case in point) Bent's rivetsetting tool. Every "odd looking" thingy was made to do a job. You may never know the purpose, or you may can modify it for your own use...Been there done that.

Bill...Would you throw this away, or keep it????
Attachments
#1.JPG
#1.JPG (70.77 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Is it a small wire bender :?: , difficult to guess with only one view, but interesting.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Burt, Chicago screws were great. But I ran out of supplier for the stainless steel ones. As with this riveting tool, the Ch screws were controllable. I would put red loctite on the thread, then turn with a screwdriver til I got it just right and leave it to harden for 24 hours.
I must say, the rivets are easier available and with this tool, I have the same control for tightening. I believe it was John Billings who told me, if you get it too tight, just put a punch in the hollow of the rivet and give it a slight tap. This allows for fine adjustment.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Maxi, that is a BIFF (Better Idea from Ford). Bill, very graciously gave me the drawing to this invaluable tool. It is a pedal rod bender for the hook that goes into the pedal crank. As with the rivet tool, you have very good control over your work and it is done accurately and fast.
Thanks to Bill and his fertile mind for this one!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Dave, thanks buddy! Although the bearings are an extra outlay of $75 per single guitar, I feel it is worth it to have this part trouble-free.
Less friction, no maintenance.
I once saw a ShoBud finger where it was metal against metal. The raise finger had chewed through the chrome on the string finger . I could just feel that grinding and friction when operating it.
By the way, I also use these bearings in my Knee lever reversers.