Quick-lock for pull rods ?

If it has Pedals...
Georg

Quick-lock for pull rods ?

Post by Georg »

On existing PSGs I find taking pull rods on existing pedals/levers out of the equation when I don't want/need a particular change, more functional than to add more pedals/levers to cover an extended range of combinations.

Does anyone have an idea for a quick-lock on pull rods, so individual rods can be extended out of the changer when not needed, and then shortened and locked - stable and precise - when that particular change is needed ?
Bent

Re: Quick-lock for pull rods ?

Post by Bent »

Georg, Do you mean it as in this example?: Rod for A pedal is to be used on C pedal instead. Pull rod out of changer to accommodate the shorter run. Then lock the rod in place and still, of course have it tuneable. Then said rod would extend several inches out from the changer - not pretty - so rod needs to be shortened. Not possible unless you want to cut rod.

If this is what you mean, I would suggest the way to do it would be to have two rods connected together with a clamp type of fastener - under the guitar of course. Then just slide rods apart or together to acheive the length you are after. Then tighten clamp.
But then --- why don't just have a collection of spare rods made up ahead of time?

Or...By using the bell crank that has the pull rod passing in between the two arms and fastened with a collar with set screw(s). (Like MSA bell cranks)
Then you would simply take the set screws out of the collar for the A pedal bell crank so the rod slides in it, and fasten the set screws in the C pedal bell crank.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Bent, your examples are OK apart from that they take too long to modify and require tools. Not practical in live situations where copedent must be altered in 5-10 seconds.

Must be able to disengage or reengage a pull rod just as quick and easy as if I were to flip a knee lever up to disengage (get it out of the way), or down to reengage (ready to activate) a change for use on the bellcrank the pull rod is hooked up on. Must also be no need to re-tune a pull rod's nylon nut between repeated disengage/reengage cycles, so mechanism must be simple and stable.

Few pull rods move more than about half an inch for a completed change. Most much less. So my line of thoughts, so far, is to cut a few pull rods where there is space, rejoin the ends loosely sliding in a tube, flip a small spring-loaded "lock lever" into "lock" position to pull the ends tightly together in the tube when the pull rod shall be active, and flip the "lock lever" to "free" to let the ends of the pull rod slide apart about half an inch (in effect lengthen the pull rod) to disengage that change.

I'm just shopping around for ideas that might work, don't require tools, don't add several pounds of weight, and will work with regular pull rods and 3/2 / 3/3 changers.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Solved, I think. Looks like a quarter-turn lock with 2 positions will do the job and take up the least space.