Changer Identification and Mechanics

If it has Pedals...
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Changer Identification and Mechanics

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hey Bentley, PM me and give me a phone # or Skype address. I'd like to shoot the shit with ya! Don't worry I am trying to be a used car salesman. I kinda like the ole' gal and would like to restore it. Also, I would like to get your location.

Paul
Paul Lafountaine

I am slowly plugging away at dismantling and cleaning up the the undercarriage. It has been a slow going process as the surface rust makes it hard to remove the barrels. Have to sand the surface rust off each rod. Before I go to far I thought I would take a few more pic's of the underside. Looks like there may have been a second knee lever.

Paul
Attachments
phpuzR2QFAM.jpg
phpuzR2QFAM.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
phpJEWsykAM.jpg
phpJEWsykAM.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
phpJELpiaAM.jpg
phpJELpiaAM.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Paul Lafountaine

Still trying to Identify and undersatand the Mechanics

Here are a few more pic's. 2 are a portion of the changer block and the other is of the pedals which may help in identifying the builder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul
Attachments
phpFDsSAfPM.jpg
phpFDsSAfPM.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
phpCp5IYgPM.jpg
phpCp5IYgPM.jpg (39.35 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
phpw49r6iPM.jpg
phpw49r6iPM.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Paul, I take it the first 2 pics are tuning screws. Does it look like the pedals are cast? Look for the telltale seam running lengthwise down the middle. From what I have seen so far my guess is that this is a homemade guitar, a one-off - but built by someone who knew his stuff. Woulda loved to see this baby...
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Lafountaine

OK Bent, I will explain this as best as I can, however, you have to realize my knowledge is limited and the ole gal was partially disassembled when I received it. The last pictures I posted show a metal block with 10 pins that slide back and forth. They are not tuning screws and are not threaded. As best as I can tell if you go back to the first, fourth, and or fifth pictures I posted; this piece is mounted between the changer fingers and the block with the 4 return springs. I will partially assemble the changer section with this metal block with the pins and take some picture to better explain this tomorrow. This block with the 10 pins was in a bag of parts that I received with the guitar. I think I should have just bought a Stage one guitar.

Paul
burt

Post by burt »

After much head-scratching, I think that the following diagram explains how it works
Attachments
unusual changer.JPG
unusual changer.JPG (41.66 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Paul Lafountaine

Hi Burt, I think you hit the nail on the head with your sketch. I guess the plate with the 10 pins was the missing piece to the puzzle. The guitar has three pedals and one knee lever. Based on standard E9 tuning these are all pull to raise and I think that is what made it so confusing to understand why the second set of fingers. When I look at the mounting for the pedals to the body I see that there was possibly a second knee lever which would be used to lower. Thanks for the insight this has helped me quite a bunch.

Paul
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Burt,
Sorta put me in mind of the Sho Bud fingertip changer..Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Paul Lafountaine

Hi Bill,

I am glad you chimed in on this. I have never heard of that changer style, but would be interested to learn more. Any info is appreciated. Over the next week or so, I will be posting pictures of the rebuild. I have cleaned up a lot of the parts and am slowly reassembling. Someone painted the undercarriage of this old beauty with black paint of some kind and it is real mess to remove. I am almost done though.

Paul
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Paul,
Here is a drawing of the SB fingertip design...Bill
Attachments
1637_66shobudfingertips_1.jpg
1637_66shobudfingertips_1.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
3167_fingertip_1.jpg
3167_fingertip_1.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.