Blackbird too

If it has Pedals...
richard37066

Re: Blackbird too

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

Gotta ask this.

Polishing exterior surfaces is pretty much a no-brainer. What tool(s)/techniques do you use to get those INNER surfaces so pristine?

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard, I'll take that as a huge compliment. Why? because the inside is not polished. But if you like it, here's how I do it. I make up flat sticks with velcro to which I attach hook&loop aluminum oxide sandpaper: grits 220, 320, 400, 600. That's it. I guess pictures lie but in a nice way in this case. The dull sheen derived from 600 grit is very pleasing really. I would not hesitate to use that as my end finish. Matter of fact, it is a really good alternative to the shiny look, which most people like.

Another finish I am experimenting with on this guitar is sanding to 220 grit and then wire brushing with a fine brass wire wheel. This is for side rails, bell cranks etc that are hidden when guitar is in working position. At least one pro builder does it this way on occasion and it works for him.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

More pics if you can stand it.
Here is the lacquered cabinet. Compare the darkening to the unfinished pic
Cab~finS.jpg
Cab~finS.jpg (104.9 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
...and the end plate. Know how hard it is to show off the shine in a pic? Very!! At least I got my mug into it to prove that it does reflect (never mind the hole in my head. That's just the jack plug hole. Funny nonetheless!
endpl.jpg
endpl.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 1218 times

This last one, sort of along a different line. Thought someone would be interested in how I make the pups. I use the mill as a press. I drill the holes for the 1/4" alnico magnets one letter undersize (D) and press the chamfered mag in place with an upside down endmill. Noice'n' toit fit :-)
I'll post more pics of my pup winding later.
pup1.jpg
pup1.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Stormy and Mike, Thanks for your kind remarks and yes..the cranks are working somewhat better Stormy, but now I have nerve issues in the right arm..always something...
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) You got it my brother, this growing old crap ain't as much fun as I expected lol, beautiful work as always buddy...Stormy :mrgreen:
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Bent, what Storm said about getting old goes for me to, I get it in my left arm from cranking on the mill.... Keep 'er up Bent, my friend ur' doin' goooooood....
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Its all looking good bent , you come along way baby as they say lol