If I were to build a pedal steel

If it has Pedals...
shobudmaverick

If I were to build a pedal steel

Post by shobudmaverick »

Okay so to start I have never even built a lapsteel and Im not going to try anything soon but I wanna know what kind of things I will need to build a fairly nice pedal steel for starter probalbly s-10.I know I will need a milling machine I have used a vertical milling machine and I know just enough to do very little but other than that what are some basic things I will need.like I said I am not planning on doing this even in the next year but I wanna know what I may need for when I do because I hope to venture into this at some point.
mac639

Re: If I were to build a pedal steel

Post by mac639 »

Hi Shobudmaverick....
You don't need a milling machine really. As far as shaping the metal parts, a bandsaw and one of those small 1" belt sanders (Delta or similar) is all you need. I've built about 20 pedal steels with just that plus assorted other electric tools.
I'm building a CNC mill right now but not necessarily for making parts, mostly just to see what other things I can make with it like signs and such stuff.
Mac
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

That is very interesting that I dont need a milling machine Was it very hard making parts with a band saw.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Heck no...
Use a regular wood cutting blade 3/8" wide by 6 TPI (teeth per inch). You can cut anything from 1/16" aluminum sheet to 3/4" plate. Use regular 10-30 motor oil for lubricant. I've heard that kerosene or power steering fluid is better but I don't like it and it smells too much. I put the lubricant in a small syringe which is a leftover one from a computer printer ink cartridge refill kit. Say you're making parts for the changer....the 1/8" pieces. I make a pattern first from thin 1/16" stock which is aluminum from something like dryer vent material or similar. Take your stock and, using the pattern, mark out your pieces on a large enough sheet of stock. Use a black ultra fine "Sharpie" marker. Take note how you do this so you don't end up trying to cut a piece out and ending up in a corner you can't get out of without wrecking an adjacent piece. Now you can saw away to your heart's content. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR EYE PROTECTION GLASSES. Those tiny chips thrown off the blade will head straight for your eyes! After they are all cut out finish the job with your 1" belt sander. You can even stack them and sand the whole bunch at once thereby making them all identical. Oh yeah....forgot...these pieces probably will have a 1/2" hole for the changer axle. Drill all the holes first before you cut them out. Much easier to drill in a large piece than drill each smaller piece. Heavier material like 1/4" and 3/8" stock of course you have to go slower but it's not a problem. All this stuff is explained in detail in my book.....if I ever get to finish it!
Best of luck
Mac
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I will have to check your book out when you finish it all this is very interesting.
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

Can you post a picture of one of the steels you have built.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi there....
Just go to my site http://www.mkguitars.com

Cheers,
Mac
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

Those are some very nice looking guitars.
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

Is your book close to being done or does it have a ways to go.I think your ideas even though a bit different from mainstream ideas of building pedal steels are very good its never a bad thing to be different but te idea of using a bandsaw is interesting which if I ever do anything Ill probalbly start with a lapsteel then if I get the chance I may attempt a s-10 but I havent had a chance but I think Im gonna try a lapsteel before long and see how it goes.I have used a milling machine but on average what kind of time would it take to make a changer with a non cnc milling machine I know just making a metal block puzzle took forever which I was new to it so that had a lot to do with it.
Ray Moonraker

Post by Ray Moonraker »

Hi shobud maverick, I have a few videos on you tube that might help you start your p.s.g build, I hope you find it interesting good luck with your project Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udvLppQ ... order&list