Set up for a single neck

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

Set up for a single neck

Post by azureskys »

Can anyone tell me how a c6 neck is setup , what is the pedal /lever setup what pulls what etc etc , any info would be much appreciated.I have two pedal steels im building and thought id do one in the c6 tuning the other will be e9. thanks for looking . Russ
Georg

Re: Set up for a single neck

Post by Georg »

Maybe BE's C6 setup will do...
http://b0b.com/tunings/stars.html#C6be
...or a PF setup...
http://b0b.com/tunings/pf_c6.htm

I think it is a JD setup on my new, old, C6...
http://b0b.com/tunings/stars.html#C6jd
...but I have yet to learn to play that thing and check for optimal copedent on it :)
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Russ,
Check here, this is the old Carter site with the most common C6 pedal setup.Also a lot of great PSG info.

Bill

http://www.steelguitar.com/sampleD10Tuning.html
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

thanks bill , georg,im going to use just three pedals and maybe two knee levers, the setups that i looked at had 5 pedals and one or two knee s . Got any suggestions ?
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Russ -

The C6th tuning was arrived at to, ostensibly, offer the player the opportunity to access extended chords of all varieties and their inversions at multiple points upon the neck. Georg has referenced three copedants and, of the three, Jimmy Day's is the weakest of them all. Players such as Mike McGee, Rick Schmidt, et al, have even expanded upon BE's and PF's setup. Is such expansion really necessary? Yes and no. Yes - if you're deeply into jazz and old standards and want the greatest number of possibilities at playing extended chords. No - if you're interested only in playing a goodly number of "pretty" chords and have no desire to get out into left field, somewhere.

This leads us to believe that "personal preference" will dictate the degree of complexity built into the instrument. Having said that, we must be mindful of the fact that, with a "full boat" in a copedant, we can play just about everything even though we concentrate on a few "pretty" chords most of the time. The opposite is not true. With a restrictive copedant, there's a brick wall that one could conceivably hit should our tastes in chords be expanded with experience. That limitation might just prove to be very frustrating. A "rebuild" of the instrument would then be a chore.

To reiterate, somewhat, I might say that a truly comprehensive copedant allows one to play everything from "Mary Had A Little Lamb" to "Lush Life" or "'Round Midnight" with equal aplomb. This would be my choice since it then places the onus upon me to excercise the instrument as opposed to the instrument imposing severe limitations upon what I might do with it - now or in the future.

There's a monstrous difference 'twixt your 3 and 2 versus 5 pedals and 4 levers. Give it some thought, please, before you commit to a design. This is one case where, in my opinion, "more" is definitely "better".

Just my thoughts.

Richard
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Richard you do have a valid point there ,Thanks for haveing the forsight to point this out to me , after takeing all factors into consideration and wanting to get the most from this build i will have to forget the 3 and 2 setup and go with the 5 and 4 as you stated , ive built lap s as a c6 tuning but not a pedal steel as c6 so this will be my first c6 pedal whole different animal isnt it , maybe the B E setup would be a good choice , wake up call lol thanks so much for your comments , ill just do another build for the c6 since i already have the 3and 2 made ill do it as an e9 , i dont have anything else to do . Russ