Will a thicker pedal bar cure "walking"?

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Re: Will a thicker pedal bar cure "walking"?

Post by Bent »

R, no sense hogging this fine man's thread any longer.. I started a new one "arcs 'n' degrees"
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Ray Moonraker

Post by Ray Moonraker »

Hi Slim,
I notice that you mention the guitar is a one off, is it possible that the front legs with the pedal board are to far forward, the farther out they are it is more likely to move when you press the pedals, it might cure the the problem if they were more up straight. I hope this helps. Ray
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

mike,
I read on the SG Forun that there was someone making a stabilizer of sorts. You may want to try putting a stabilized of sorts made of a scrap piece of wood, or whatever you have handy (see drawing), You could use C clamps to attach it to see if it helps. If it works, then make a permanent presentable part. Attach it as low to the pedalboard as possible. This should keep the legs from flexing, and moving around.

Bill
Attachments
img003.jpg
img003.jpg (3.44 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
mike small

Post by mike small »

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I never got the original question answered (will there be more cab drop if the pedal bar no longer flexes) but I was able to elimiante the walking.

I needed to lower the guitar for player comfort. I lowered it 1/4 inch or there abouts and now the left front leg no longer kicks out when the pedals are pressed. I'm not sure if it's because the legs are shorter and now there's not as much flexibility due to less leverage, or that the pedals are now lower and at a less steep angle. The overall change in height was very minimal but the effect was great.

To answer a previous question, yes that left front leg was kicked out further than the right leg. Not sure how to bring it in w/o recasting the end plate.

All is well now guys, thanks for your efforts.

Slim
ljs

Post by ljs »

Hi All,
For what it's worth, I feel that the accuracy of the threads on the legs is very crucial in minimizing walking accross the floor. I have owned two different GFI's. The first a S-10 manufactured in March of 1995, and a S-12 manufacured in June of 2008. Both of these guitars were excellent, but the newer one, the S-12 had a tendency to walk across the floor several inches in an hours time. After reading on the SGF about the bracing mentioned above I did make several brackets and this did solve my problem with the walking. The only difference I found was the earlier GFI had what looked like machined threads on the leg insert, while the later S-12 had long set screws for inserts. The set screw inserts had a lot more play than the machined inserts, thus my belief that the fit of the legs into the guitar is very important. Even when screwing the legs in very snuggly there was still some movement.

Of course I may be all wrong, and I am sure that there are other factors invlved, but this is my opinion after observing and trying different pedal height positions. I currently play a BSG S-10 and there is no walking what so ever on this guitar. Don Burrows makes these guitars and I believe he machines the threads on the leg inserts.

LaVern Skarzenski