Elektro Pedal Steel Guitar Build

If it has Pedals...
richard37066

Re: Elektro Pedal Steel Guitar Build

Post by richard37066 »

Elektro -

You've stated that you want a more jazz sounding instrument. Pickup placement will address a part of that. By placing the pickup further away from the changer, the fundamental frequency of the string will be emphasized with a relative reduction in harmonics.

I had this brilliant idea some time ago only to find out that Georg had already done it! You might want to pick his brains concerning the effect. Georg has mounted a movable pickup in one of his instruments in an attempt to adjust the tone. He has it adjusted so as to satisfy his tastes. He's approachable and would no doubt help you in this regard.

Richard
Georg

Post by Georg »

Here the PU is shown in the "paint-pealing" (bright) position. Pushing it just 3/4 inch back - the entire movable range of the PU on my PSG - makes the sound as "round and mellow" as I would ever want.

Note that the PU (a George L pentad, I think) is not screwed on. The screw-lips are cut off and the PU is hanging freely on top of the neck on a rubber-ring.

To add: the neck on my modified PSG is solid aluminum made up of two layers screwed and glued together, making it 20 millimeter thick. That in itself makes this particular PSG more "mellow and clear" sounding than the average PSG.
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

richard37066 wrote:Elektro -

You've stated that you want a more jazz sounding instrument. Pickup placement will address a part of that. By placing the pickup further away from the changer, the fundamental frequency of the string will be emphasized with a relative reduction in harmonics.

I had this brilliant idea some time ago only to find out that Georg had already done it! You might want to pick his brains concerning the effect. Georg has mounted a movable pickup in one of his instruments in an attempt to adjust the tone. He has it adjusted so as to satisfy his tastes. He's approachable and would no doubt help you in this regard.

Richard
I had considered placement of the pickup, and how it changes tone. I have a electric guitar with two humbucker pickups, which are referred to as the bridge pickup and the neck pickup. Usually the bridge pickup is wired hotter than the neck pickup. I had considered using two pickups, and I suppose I could have crammed them in there. I am using a lower resistance neck pickup in my guitar. I also have the tone control to change the tone if I want.

A movable pickup is a cool idea, to change tone, had not considered that at all.

I've been so busy with work, have not had time to do any further work on the guitar, which I guess I might call the 'ElektroSteel Guitar', or something like that. I know 'Electro' has been used before. Elektro is part of the name of my company, 'Elektro Lumens', .

Elektro
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Elektro -

I was in Bobbe Seymour's shop shortly after he received a new steel guitar from Jackson. It had two pickups. One mounted in the "bridge" position and the other several inches away in what might be called the "neck" position. Although I'm a jazz lover from 60 years past, I found the "neck" position pickup to be somewhat lifeless and without character.

Georg's solution is the best that I've seen. If you can justify the time and some expense, I'd recommend that you follow his lead and come up with a compromise which suits you.

Remember - "personal preference" trumps all things.

Richard
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

richard37066 wrote:Elektro -

I was in Bobbe Seymour's shop shortly after he received a new steel guitar from Jackson. It had two pickups. One mounted in the "bridge" position and the other several inches away in what might be called the "neck" position. Although I'm a jazz lover from 60 years past, I found the "neck" position pickup to be somewhat lifeless and without character.

Georg's solution is the best that I've seen. If you can justify the time and some expense, I'd recommend that you follow his lead and come up with a compromise which suits you.

Remember - "personal preference" trumps all things.

Richard
In my next build, or, some other build, I can consider it. I can see rails, having the pickup mounted on them, with some sort of position locking mechanism, move the pickup to the choice tone, lock the pickup in place. This should not be too difficult to do.

I'd just like to get this guitar done, so I have something to play.

Elektro
Georg

Post by Georg »

Elektro wrote:In my next build, or, some other build, I can consider it. I can see rails, having the pickup mounted on them, with some sort of position locking mechanism, move the pickup to the choice tone, lock the pickup in place. This should not be too difficult to do.
FWIW: I think rails and locking mechanism are totally unnecessary - an overkill. The PU won't go anywhere by itself if seated on rubber, and you can even move it while playing sustained notes if you like.
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

Georg wrote:
Elektro wrote:In my next build, or, some other build, I can consider it. I can see rails, having the pickup mounted on them, with some sort of position locking mechanism, move the pickup to the choice tone, lock the pickup in place. This should not be too difficult to do.
FWIW: I think rails and locking mechanism are totally unnecessary - an overkill. The PU won't go anywhere by itself if seated on rubber, and you can even move it while playing sustained notes if you like.
Okay. it was just a thought. Anyway, I have a tendency to overdo things, that's what I'm known for, actually, in the world of flashlights.

I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to work on this project. I'd like to get the bridge in position, and make the fingers.

Elektro
LushPyle

Post by LushPyle »

This is Jackson's take on movable pickups. I really think this would be quite useful.
It seems to me that slanting the E9 pickup the opposite way from what is shown here would be useful for keeping the low string separation while calming the highs down a bit. Just my take.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

LushPyle -

You've got it nailed. Remember, too, that by moving the pickup away from the bridge on the treble side it detects a greater amplitude of string vibration. This tends to alleviate that inherent volume difference between low and high strings. It should provide a slightly better balance between the two.

Richard
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Major 8-string PSG Copedant:

Code: Select all

| 0 || F  | G || A | B | C || E | H  |
|---||----|---||---|---|---||---|----|
| 1 || 1# |   ||   |   |   || 7 |    |
| 5 ||    |   || 6 |   | 6 ||   | 5b |
| 3 ||    | 2 ||   | 4 |   ||   |    |
| 1 || 1# |   ||   |   | 2 || 7 |    |
| 5 ||    |   || 6 |   |   ||   | 5b |
| 3 ||    | 2 ||   | 4 |   ||   |    |
| 1 || 1# |   ||   |   | 2 || 7 |    |
| 5 ||    |   || 6 |   |   ||   |    |
Elektro:
I found this setup quite easy to play, but it has 7 pedals/levers, and 8 strings. Pick the six strings/pedals you think you want.
The copedant header letters are not chords, but pedal/lever names, where F,G,E, and H are knee levers.
If all pedals are on the floor you are going to be dancing to get combinations. A+B gives an UP-chord at root fret, while G+E gives a DOWN-chord at root fret. B+E gives DOWN-7th at root.
You may wish to swap positions with E & G. Don't omit G lever... Maybe C or H. H can be done with A+B+E shifted up seven frets.
If 1=G, progress up the major scale for the other numbers. A #10 or #11 gauge works fine for first string, G, and will pull up to A (if req'd, added onto C-pedal).
If you think you like this tuning, send me email, and I will send you a list of where to find useful chords.
Conceive, believe, achieve!