Connectors to make changing pick ups easier

If it has Pedals...
LushPyle

Connectors to make changing pick ups easier

Post by LushPyle »

Not wanting to hijack another thread I though I might share this here. I have been thinking that these things might be the ticket. Installed in line between the pickup and jack they would make changing pickups easier. They are reusable and by all accounts work as advertised, although I myself have never tried them. This site, by the way, is really incredible for anyone into bikes.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/sale/posi-l ... r-sale.htm
Bent

Re: Connectors to make changing pick ups easier

Post by Bent »

Lush, there's a great idea.I have also been thinking of trying computer connectors, like USB connectors or even the type of plug that connects the fan to the wiring.
I believe Storm has ideas about this as well. Storm?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
LushPyle

Post by LushPyle »

Some type of pin connection could be really trick but at the end of the day you still have to put one half of the connection on the pickup. Since that is a hassle for all and a real challenge for some I like this concept. All you would do is simply strip the wire on the pickup (if not already done), insert the wire and screw the connector together. Now if you wanted to be able to quickly change between a few pickups and weren't just experimenting to find the timbre that your after then perhaps pin connectors would be in order and worth the extra effort. In fact for that scenario the Sierra or MSA slide in pickup mount is really what you would want. I really think the movable pickup that Jackson did for Zane King's new guitar would be really useful, maybe more so, than swapping out pickups. I would love to try one. I have a Sierra and after experimenting with several pickups I use one Wallace TT 99.9% of the time. I put in the Dimarzio humbucker I have if hum creates a problem which in my case is almost never. A movable Alumitone seems like potentially the ultimate option IMHO!
By the way, Bent, it would be REALLY great to hear a sound clip of #4 with those brass fingers and that Alumitone pickup. I bet it sounds as good as it looks!
michaelm

simple strips

Post by michaelm »

A simple screw-type terminal strip mounted near the pickup and connected to the output jack (or control pots) would probably be easiest for most applications.

The photo shows a two-position strip, but they are available in four, six or eight (and maybe more!) configurations from Radio Shack or other electronic supply houses. HTH.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
ed packard

Post by ed packard »

I use the Sierra slides for both pickups on the BEAST. They work with Pogo pins for the connections. Because the BEAST has two pickups, I may use them together, or one at a time. Because they are both tapped, I use a switch to select the taps, and just slide a pickup back by 1/4" to shut it off.

You may be able to get the slide and pickup block from Tom Baker at Sierra.