Steel Project #4

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Re: Steel Project #4

Post by Bent »

Richard,
Thanks for the nice words. As for the PUP - it's not been decided upon as of yet. I am wavering between the alumitone, which I like real well, and a Tonealigner which I haven't tried yet but have heard lots of good stuff about. And then I am awfully tempted to put one of my home made PUP's on it. I love the tone in those single coils...if it hadn't been for the hum.
But right now, as it stands, it will be the Alumitone.

About the string height. It must look 'sky high' in the pic. Lack of fretboard is deceiving too, I believe. The actual height is 3/4". When I get the 1/16" frtbrd on it will be 11/16" This is the same height as on many guitars I believe - and the same as on my "Red". One commercial brand is Rains.

It was not dictated by the changer mount, as I built that according to the changer.
I guess my only thinking was...If it's good enough for Gary Carpenter, it's good enough for me. Also it is what I was used to, and likewise the buyer.

I do know one thing: On Red, I first had a 1/8" fretboard(twice the thickness of my current ones) That 1/16" difference caused me to hit the frtbrd with my picks on occasion. I guess I really dig into those strings!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat Comeau wrote:Beautiful job Bent :) ,
is the bearing plate notch in the front apron?, the guitar is coming together real nice.
Pat C ;)
Thanks Pat.
The front and rear rails are both set into the aprons, yes. They are 1/4" X 2" and I milled out the same in the apron wood. See pic of the frame elsewhere - just the rails, end plates and legs. The rails are bolted to the end plate lips - 2 #10 screws in each end.
So really, the aprons don't offer much structure at all. They are just for looks really. But the idea was to make a whole, continuous frame to carry the load. Of course the top deck offers some structure.
The two bolts you see going thru the pillow blocks go right thru the deck and the end plate lip and is fastened with a nut. Also, the 2 rearmost screws that hold the keyhead are the same way.

I believe in this structure and time & testing will tell.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Bent, my friend,looking really fine. I like that color, and on that maple sure does bring it out...... Great job........Mike
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Hey Bent my friend,
Coming together very nicely, I'm curious to see the results of the "rail system" you have incorporated in the aprons. Color,finish,layout, everything looks top shelf.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mike, Bill, thanks so much my friends. Bill I am anxious to see the result as well...
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

TOP NOTCH BENT MY FRIEND! I CAN ONLY HERALD WHAT ALL THE OTHER GUYS HAVE SAID.
(JUST A THOUGHT) I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY THAT PAUL FRANKLIN LIKES THE BILL LAWRENCE 705 PUP's THAT HE HAS PUT ON HIS GUITAR, BOBBE SEYMOUR THINKS THAT THE BL 705's ARE THE BEST PUP's.

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

Yer right. The photos are a little misleading.

We've broached the subject before on this forum but have you thought about a simple in-line plug under the guitar such that you might offer a prospective buyer a choice of pickups? Simple enough to do. Simple enough to make the change. Don't mean to complicate things.

Be proud of your work, son - it's first rate.

Richard
jesseleite

Post by jesseleite »

Beautiful finish! So project #4 is done now eh? I can't wait to see her in person!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

The guitar looks fantastic Bent! Great job!!
LushPyle

Post by LushPyle »

This one looks REALLY nice from what I can see. In fact it seems as though each one is better than the one that came before it!