Pull Release Fingers Binding

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Pull Release Fingers Binding

Post by Eldon »

I may have made my fingers too thick. I just started installing the pullrods and they seem to be binding a bit too quick.

Burt, you've posted images of your Marlen finger how "thick are the legs".

Also Bent I believe your first build was a pull release what did you come up with.

Mac or anyone else.

Before I do something I may regret.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
burt

Re: Pull Release Fingers Binding

Post by burt »

It's important to have plenty of relief in the rod holes, to allow at least 20 degrees of rod movement (10 degrees a side)
Attachments
Finger width dimension.JPG
Finger width dimension.JPG (9.91 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Finger relief holes.JPG
Finger relief holes.JPG (77.64 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Eldon, I have always used all-pull. But the problem is there no matter what. Make sure you make the fingers too thin in order to use spacers in between them. Spacers made of mild steel or aluminum can be ground to the right thickness.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Eldon -

For starters, I must support Burt's configuration of the rod holes in his second photo. Those holes could have been simply countersunk as opposed to the counterbore that it appears to be. The holes, themselves, need be larger in diameter than the rod diameter to accommodate the angles encountered. There won't be any binding there. I assume that the fingers move quite freely with finger pressure? No binding between the fingers themselves?

Ain't no harm in copying the design. Don't think that Burt would mind.

Almost as an aside, I can report that Ross Shafer told me that the fingers in the Fender PS210 were sand cast and yielded surprisingly good, friction-free surfaces. No spacers.

Richard
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

slight correction to Richards PS210 mention.

The fingers are die-cast then chrome plated, then the interface between the raise and lower fingers is ground flat, removing plating in that area. Once I cleaned the gudge (30 plus year old grease) off the fingers and applied a bit of thin oil the changer worked just peachy.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Burt, I should have taken a closer look at your earlier photos I didn't notice the relief holes until this post. I left the "legs" the same thickness and they seem to work well now.

Bent, appologies, I've probably read too many posts. I was sure you made a pull-release.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Ross -

Didn't get the in-between information. Just went with what I had.

Richard
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

No prob Ricardo, no negative intent meant. I just wanted to clarify. I may not have had the fingers out of the guitar yet to see grinding on the mating surfaces when you and I exchanged emails about the PS.
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hey Burt, Would you mind posting the all around dimensions of the finger pictures you posted. Length, width, shaft hole, etc for the finger. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance. I apologize for jumping this thread.

Paul
burt

Post by burt »

All the info is in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=390&p=2805#p2805