method to attach strings!

If it has Pedals...
louckswayne

method to attach strings!

Post by louckswayne »

Guys
This topic has been discussed before im sure but i couldnt find anything.
I am referring to attaching the strings to the aluninum changer fingers.
I have seen 3 ways to do this but would like to get some thoughts/advice from
you all!
Wayne
burt

Re: method to attach strings!

Post by burt »

The simplest method is with the pin, the advantage being ease of string attachment, the disadvantage being a broken pin if the ball end is not pushed right down to the base of the pin.

Next up is the slot method, advantage is ease of string attachment, disadvantage is large diameter C6 strings won't fit in the slot.

Then its the hole-through-the-finger method, which can be a pain extracting a broken ball-end, and a nuisance when putting on a new string, no advantages as far as I can tell
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

burt wrote:The simplest method is with the pin, the advantage being ease of string attachment, the disadvantage being a broken pin if the ball end is not pushed right down to the base of the pin.

Next up is the slot method, advantage is ease of string attachment, disadvantage is large diameter C6 strings won't fit in the slot.

Then its the hole-through-the-finger method, which can be a pain extracting a broken ball-end, and a nuisance when putting on a new string, no advantages as far as I can tell
Thanks Burt, with the pln method, how deep is good for the holes and what size is
good for the pins?
Thanks
Wayne
mac639

Post by mac639 »

I don't know what other folks use for the pins but I have always used pieces of bicycle spokes. All spokes are not the same diameter, so take a string with you and go to a bike shop and see which one fits the best. As far as the length, I usually put them in the same amount that's sticking out. Depends on where the pin is, if it's below the axle hole then it doesn't matter much , if it's opposite the axle hole make sure it doesn't go into the hole. The spokes are pretty good material so they don't cut off too easy. I use my jewellers saw.
Cheers
Mac
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

mac639 wrote:I don't know what other folks use for the pins but I have always used pieces of bicycle spokes. All spokes are not the same diameter, so take a string with you and go to a bike shop and see which one fits the best. As far as the length, I usually put them in the same amount that's sticking out. Depends on where the pin is, if it's below the axle hole then it doesn't matter much , if it's opposite the axle hole make sure it doesn't go into the hole. The spokes are pretty good material so they don't cut off too easy. I use my jewellers saw.
Cheers
Mac
Ok Mac
Thanks very much for this info!
Wayne