Comeau #4 SD 4x5 mica

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

Re: Comeau #4 SD 4x5 mica

Post by Pat Comeau »

richard37066 wrote:Pat -

'Tis said that sometimes the little things can make a big difference. That grey "flocking" on the underside is a super nice touch. So much easier on the eyes than old "basic black". Overall, the look is one of professionalism. I commend you on your artistry and craftsmanship. Should be a real winner when it's finished!

Question: - It would appear that most builders use narrow aluminum angle to hide the edge joint between vertical and horizontal mica surfaces. Have you come up with an alternative method? I ask since I know that you're inventive as all get-out!

Richard
thanks Richard :) , yes there will be aluminum trim when finished to hide the edges ;)
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Farmer wrote:Way to go Pat, it's looking good for your first Mica. What did you spray on the bottom, looks really good....

Mike
Hey Mike...that paint is a kind of flacky or brick effect use for counter tops :)

thanks
Pat
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Eldon wrote:Lookin' great as ever Pat, always look forward to your posts.

Question on th pedals.......... Is that aluminum pipe welded to a 3/8 inch arm?? What am I seeing here.

Thanks
Yes Eldon...it is a 3/8" for arm and 3/4"OD by 1/2"ID aluminum pipe.

thanks
Pat :)
Pat Comeau

Re: Comeau #4 SD 4x5 mica ( UPDATE )

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi guys, a few more pics of my #4 PSG, i'm almost done...fretboard, pickup and rest pad left to do and also the case, i will start tuning the guitar tomorrow, i'm very satistfy with my first try at a formica finish PSG :) , once i'm done with this one i will start on another formica Emmons style PSG and also i want start on a red D10 birds eyed maple :P .
Attachments
April 29th 2011.JPG
April 29th 2011.JPG (83.26 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
April 29th 2011 #5.JPG
April 29th 2011 #5.JPG (73.06 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
April 29th 2011 #2.JPG
April 29th 2011 #2.JPG (100.04 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

a few more :)
Attachments
April 29th 2011 #3.JPG
April 29th 2011 #3.JPG (88.42 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
April 29th 2011 #4.JPG
April 29th 2011 #4.JPG (98.53 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Pat, that sure is a cool looking reversing lever in jpg #3. I would not be ashamed if that was my first mica steel. Beautiful, top and bottom.................Mike
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Pat
That steel is looking great! I sure envy your craftsmanship, and thanks for
the pics!
Wayne
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hey Pat, I use to reface existing kitchen cabinets with formica for a living and I tell ya nothing I did ever looked that good, but cabinets are boring. Sure is a beautiful guitar. Are you gonna give us a sound bite when your done?

Paul
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Pat.....that sure is going to be one nice guitar! You're a real craftsman for sure
Cheers,
Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, every guitar you make seems to be an improvement over the previous one. That's the way it is supposed to be and it also means that you are definitely doing things right and are growing in your craft. It pleases me to no end. You have come a long way from the first Comeau with the wooden keyhead which in itself was a great first steel.

I like the way you have flocked the underneath on this one. So clean and tidy looking. The metal parts also attest to improved workmanship. The mica job, although not my cup of tea, is worth 100% in my judgment. It is simply great, especially considering it's your first one as I gather.
Where did the end plates come from? They look so nice and finished underneath! Did yo apply some elbow grease there? The keyhead looks great as well ;)
The pillow blocks for the changer axle...did you make them yourself? How are they fastened? To the changer housing or are they bolted straight thru the housing and woodwork with a nut underneath?

A scary thought comes to mind when you get your mill. No one will be able to compete with you!!
Carry on my friend.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.