Strings

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

Strings

Post by azureskys »

Has anyone tried flat wound strings on the pedal steel,? just wondering how they compare with a conventional string.I dont know even if they make them anymore do they?
thanks . Russ
richard37066

Re: Strings

Post by richard37066 »

Russ -

Flat-wound strings -- long the favorite for my jazz guitar -- are alive and well.

As for the PSG, they have been met with mixed opinions. Lately, I have been using so-called "roller-wound" strings. The winding is slightly flattened as it is wound, producing a string which is somewhere between a regular round-wound and a flat-wound string. On my jazz guitar, I prefer the muted sound on the flat-wounds. On PSG, for whatever the reason, the muted sound approaches being "dead" with what appears to be fewer overtones. There's also considerably less bar noise.

One place to check:

http://sites.google.com/site/frenchyspe ... itarstore/

Another site to visit:

http://www.juststrings.com/

b0b also sells a variety of strings on the Steel Guitar Forum.

One point in favor of the flat-wounds is the fact that picking action is "easier" and "smoother" - less effort - or so it seems. Picks do not seem to "grab" upon striking the string.

Best advice is to look into several sites, bite the bullet for whatever seems to tickle your fancy and then spring for the bucks. My personal suggestion would be to try the "roller-wound" strings first in order to get a feel for a different string. All of this, of course, is written with my personal preference in mind. Others might have a slightly differing voice.

Richard
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Richard thank you for your comment , I was thinking that they might have a more mellow sound than a round wound , it would seem to me also that action might be a little faster with the flat string (less drag ) especially on a reg guitar , probly not noticeable with a bar i would think, enteresting though isnt it . i might try a set and see how they react, another thought, a mellow sound might be desireable on some types of music other than country maybe something in a new age type music or a relaxing type music , its worth considering the possibilities i guess . Russ
Allan

Post by Allan »

I forget where I came across these but there is, somewhere, a manufacturer making what they call a 'ground wound' string. Instead of using the flat tape to put the wind on, they are using standard round section wire which is then (after winding) ground to a flat surface on the outside of the string. They are not ground to as smooth a finish as the tape wound variety but to a point where the surface falls between standard round wound and tape wound. I have experienced them on someone else's instrument (a Tele if I remember correctly) and thought that they felt good but sounded (to my twang loving ears) a little soft. Another option though, if you can locate them that is.
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Allan -

Forgot about those "ground-wounds". My bad. Another option.

Richard