Installing a Bronze (Oilite) bushing

If it has Pedals...
azgoatroper

Installing a Bronze (Oilite) bushing

Post by azgoatroper »

Heating the component with the hole and freezing the component going into the hole is the best way to shrink fit two parts together but not with an oil impregnated bushing. I think that when they come into contact with each other, the heat transferrence will cause the Oilite to bleed out. Warming the finger would be OK but I think that 200° would be too hot.

This is what I would do:
A. Plan for a .001" interference fit
B. Machine one end of the bushing with a reduced outside diameter of -.001" from the finger bore diameter and about .030-.050" long
for a pilot. mark this end with a black marker for easy identification.
C. Leave a minimum of -.005-.010" in the bushing bore to ream to size after installation
D. Freeze the bushing for 2 hours
E. You might 'warm' the finger in hot water, blow dry, and immediately drop the bushing in.
F. Drop the bushing into the finger, pilot end first. This helps it enter the finger and squares it to the bore. If it doesn't drop in,
press lightly and squarely till it's flush. Do this quickly, as the tempurature of the two components will transfer quickly and
stop the bushing from going all the way in easily.
You may need a small hand press or between 2 plates in the vise but it must be done squarely.
G. Ream to size
H. Mill or file bushing faces flush to finger
I. Chamfer I.D. edges of bushing
J. Machine remaining features on the finger from the bushing bore
(this is your pivot point, make everthing concentric or symmetrical to this position)

Done

Michael
'Don't fergit to drink upstream of the herd...'

http://www.psgparts.com
Bent

Re: Installing a Bronze (Oilite) bushing

Post by Bent »

Michael. Here's the way I installed the oilite bushings in my pedal pivots.
I drilled a 3/8" hole for the od of the bushing. This made a nice tight fit, so tight that I had to press it in place with the vise. This squeezed the bushing so it became too tight for the 1/4" axle. I reamed the hole out with a 1/4" reamer. The axle then fit nicely.
Was this an ok procedure since I skipped most of the points you wrote? Like - is it ok to ream an oilite bushing?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azgoatroper

Post by azgoatroper »

Absolutely Bent, you would always want to ream AFTER installation as the bushing compresses slightly as you found out. It's better to plan ahead and leave sufficient material in the bore ahead of time to make sure that you get a full cleanup.

Piloting the bushing gives it a good start, helps to set it square in the hole and provides a relief to prevent shearing the parent bore as it is pressed in. Generally the longer the bushing, the longer I would make the pilot.

Michael
'Don't fergit to drink upstream of the herd...'

http://www.psgparts.com
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) This turned into a great little thread, thx Mike and Bent , Micheal I actually think I understand the parameters re: installing and using oilite stuff ,thx buddy thats good stuff to know .....somehow I knew Bemt (hehehe) would get it rite......Stormy ;)
Steven Mccauley

Post by Steven Mccauley »

where do I find this type of bushings?
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Eldon

Post by Eldon »

What exactly am I looking for here I described a 1/2 inch bore and a 5/8 inch OD for my changer fingers, for an oilite bearing and 2 of my local suppliers told me they don't make them. Any help would be appretiated. Thanks.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Dave L

Post by Dave L »

Not sure if this is what you want but I found something with your spec.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sleeve-bearings/=bs1h0d

good luck
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

Hi..

When I was putting together a mightily-modified Bigsby Palm Pedal on my Telecaster (another story!!)..I used Small Parts (here in Australia) for all my Oilite bushes....great people to deal with and a great range of componentry ....

Have a look at:

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/part ... gs/wide/1/

If you need help digging into their catalog, or getting stuff from Oz, you're welcome to drop me a line.

Regards from Down Here.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

When you drill/ream a hole with an exact I.D., the oilite bushing is mfg. to not need anything after pressing into place. If you measure the bushing, you will find that the O.D.,& I.D. are a couple thou. oversize. It is engineered to press & go. If the bushing I.D. is needed to be closer/tighter, the hole I.D. it's pressed into needs to be smaller.

Bill

Edited to say..Mcmastercarr.com, type in bushing, scroll down to oilite. Tried to link it but wouldn't go to page. Or type in 6391K211 and it will show up..."whew"
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.