About Zane Beck

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

About Zane Beck

Post by azureskys »

Hey Guys , does anyone know anything about the old ZB s any drawings, info discriptions etc etc , how they work ?I heard that they are very heavy and sound great , never seen one in person , was thinking of maybe building something similar to them ,anyone know anything? thanks Russ
Storm Rosson

Re: About Zane Beck

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Firstly they have completely different mechanics .....flat bars and and things on the original ZB's this and the attending center bar did make for a hefty piece ......all the newer rebuilds and such have usually replaced this setup with more conventional crossrods and bellcrank systems....Stormy ;)
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Thanks Storm , thats what im wanting to know about , the flat bar system how it works and whatever else ill need to know to build something similar.the mechanics of the whole thing . Russ
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Maybe someone here has a pic they could post of a real ZB, it's quite simple but hard to describe you just gotta see one...Stormy ;)
Bent

Post by Bent »

Stormy, go here http://www.pedalsteel.co.uk/goods---build---service-2 and see the work of Bob Adams in Scotland. Bob lovingly rebuilds ZB's, Emmons PP, Sho-Buds and his latest is a Blanton - yes a Blanton that found its way over to the UK - Just one ,and Bob got his mitts on it.
On this page you will see 11 pics of his ZB resto. Bob is a talented man whom I wish we could have as a member.
I agree with you: the ZB has a unique and very good sound and tone. I have been told that one of the reason for this good tone is the heavy castings used in those old guitars. Zane Beck, now there was another intelligent man...

I encourage you all to visit Bob's site. It is very informative and well laid out. Oodles of pics.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

If you want the ZB sound, I think that it's the changer design that matters, not the undercarriage.

The changer finger doesn't use nylon tuners, it has a positive stop which bottoms on the endplate.

Here's a photo of a changer finger
Attachments
ZBChangerFinger-copy.jpg
ZBChangerFinger-copy.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 1822 times