Legs Adjustment Mechanism

If it has Pedals...
Dave L

Re: Legs Adjustment Mechanism

Post by Dave L »

Hi Eldon,
I've seen the principle b4 but not sure on what. I think the thread ends were tapered and the cap nut was also tapered to help ease it on the squeeze, kind of like a natural gas fitting is. The problem I've found in the past with stock pipe is that the od of the inner pipe size is not a very tight fit to the id of the outer pipe and I think for this type adjustable leg the fit should be really close. Also I'm guessing the copper pipe was just for a prototype test and not for actual use. I think copper would be much to weak for a leg.

I'll try to post a couple of pics but the first thing that came to my mind was an adjustable scraper that I have. To buy they are around $30 each, which is out side of your specifications "almost instant and simple recycled adjustable legs". Plus you would have to put a plug w/threads on the one end to screw into the guitar. However this concept could easily be adapted to a home made leg as well.

Another less expensive alternative might be to weld a nut to the end of a pipe and insert a 8-10 or 12" bolt w/a jamb nut, this would give several inches of positive none slip adjustment for the price of a couple nuts and bolts, say 5/8 dia. or so.

A third idea I have in my head is w/a coupler and a cam clamp. I can picture it but not quite describe. If I can find the fitting I'm thinking of in the next day or so at the hardware store I'll post again.
just some thoughts that were rattling around my head I needed to shake out.
Best Regards, Dave
Attachments
0329111452.jpg
0329111452.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 759 times
the bolt is off center so when the pipe is twisted it jambs against the wall of the outer pipe.
the bolt is off center so when the pipe is twisted it jambs against the wall of the outer pipe.
0329111442.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Dave, I agree totally the copper would be way too soft. I used it just to try because it fit inside without any extra messing around.

I used the 5/8 bolt idea in the legs of my first build at both ends it works but I'm trying to cut down a bit of weight on my new guitar.

Mac had some good ideas especially for attaching the legs to the body.

Thanks for the input keep on pedaling.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Dave L

Post by Dave L »

HI Eldon,
Are Mac's ideas for attaching legs to the body in his new book? I hope so. Sent him some mola last Friday, waiting for the post man to deliver it so i can get a copy. I have the Gluck book on CD that has some good ideas in it but is not all inclusive. Leaving room for personal expression I suppose. In my opinion worth the investment. But not knowing anything, any info is helpful. I hope between the Gluck book, Mac's book, and this forum I'll have enough info to attack this project. I don't have a steel for reference, had to sell that 32 years ago, young family needed the money yadda yadda yadda thats just the way life goes. Stumbled on to this forum awhile ago, never would have thought to do this, "really? you actually can build your own steel?" Awesome. So here I am attempting to learn enough to put metal to saw.

I do have a couple of different ideas for the leg adjustment but neither as clean as your original idea.
My concern with your idea would be that if the tolerance between the id/od was not close enough, could you turn it tight enough to hold it from slipping with the vibration and jarring forth and back as knee levers and foot pedals are being worked. But then I'm sure you will put it through some testing b4 putting it under your hard work.
Dave