Brass on steel changer

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Brass on steel changer

Post by Bent »

I was thinking of using a 1/2" treated drill rod for an axle this time around. Heat treated to Rockwell 50-60.
Pros/cons for this idea is welcomed.
Also I made a changer with brass fingers. One inch wide by 1/4" thick. I was going to chrome plate them but abandoned the idea because of cost.
I have it installed in my "Red" here and I did hear a difference in sound. Not much but it was there.
The idea behind using brass was that church bells do sound good.
This is what will be installed in the guitar I am currently working on. The only possible change is that I haven't quite made up my mind about the chrome plating.
Would be nice to hear from the metalurgists here (if that's the correct term), or anyone with views based on experience or study. I don't demand that your opinion be backed up with lots of science and research.

I am interested in the compatibility of brass and steel for one thing.
brschagr.jpg
brschagr.jpg (132.98 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Ross Shafer

Re: Brass on steel changer

Post by Ross Shafer »

that looks wonderful Bent...great job! My only input on "to chrome or not to chrome" is that it will take a little messing with tolerance wise...the application of chrome is not typically all that precise. The average plating shop is usually more adept at, chroming bumpers and harley parts and not parts that entail high precision). You can mask off the axle bores to maintain your fit up, but that could cause other probs at the platings edge. You can also do or have done some post plating precision grinding...a hassle, but doable.

You can use nickel plating instead of electroless nickel and do it yourself...less buildup and easily ream-able after plating of course its not nearly as hard as chrome, so its not an ideal alternative.

Lastly, In my bicycle manufacturing past, I've had some absolute nightmares with plating shops...you have to be very specific about what you want...the default is usually to polish the shit out of things for that big shine they're used to putting on bumpers 'n such...all that polishing can be ruinous to the look of nicely machined parts...not to mention its affect on carefully worked out tolerances. Not all plating shops are created equal, find one that concentrates on small precision parts as opposed to hot rod parts.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Russ, that's good enough for me to forget chrome plating 8-)
I was gonna do it for looks more than anything else because some people have reservations when it comes to the looks of yellow brass on a steel guitar.

How do you do electroless nickel yourself?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I like that brass on there Bent , ill bet ya it sounds great, While your doing your foundry thing Bent you can cast some changer parts in brass also or you can make a bronze alloy from aluminum and brass and cast some parts. Russ
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Bent, if it were me, I would just leave the brass alone. The only thing is about that is brass gets cloudy looking after a while, you would just have to polish it every now and then. I think with brass being a little harder, you probably have a little more ring, or sustain to it don't you......

Mike