Changer Axel

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Changer Axel

Post by Eldon »

I was rooting around town yesterday and it occured to me that a usable changer axel could be made from a hitch pin. The locking models come chromed (we've had a short chrome discussion re chipping and wear) for about 17 dollars each. The cheaper varieties need a bit of polishing. What do you guys think out there.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Dave L

Re: Changer Axel

Post by Dave L »

Sounds like a good idea. Readily available, inexpensive, probably no deflection at the length used.
Not made to a exacting standard, so diameters would probably vary some what.
Dave
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

I find that motor shaft round stock from McMaster-Carr works great ,polished, hardened,chromed, if the nitride coating came in smaller dia. it would be superb......u ain't gonna wear out a nitrided shaft.... and comes in pretty tight tolerances too (.003" per foot runout) I think.....Stormy ;)
Dave L

Post by Dave L »

I went there and checked out some rotor shafts they had. Actually cheaper and they are precision +0.0 - 0.001.
I think a 12" length was $8.35 + shipping and handling. Seems like a better alternative.
Dave
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) You're spot on there Dave, as I went and found the precision shafts and agree with them being a better choice for both closer runout tolerance (.OD =+0.0" /-.0002" per ft) that's for 5/16" dia (Sho-Bud) and u can get it through hardened not just cased, also chromed if u want .......good find bud ;)
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

I took apart a dryer motor today. 1/2 inch. It had a blueish tinge. What colour is the nitride coating??

Another thing I noticed it was a bit harder to cut with a hacksaw but not as hard as high speed steel (the kind you get on bedframes).

I'm wondering what I have, any ideas would be welcome.

Eldon
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) The bluish tint isn't nitride, my guess on the sawing issue would be that it was case hardened ,which only hardens the outside ,I think I saw some mention about .050", of the shaft. Just a guess. Stormy ;)
azgoatroper

Post by azgoatroper »

My guess is that if you had to take the motor apart and that shaft is bluish, that's a result of overheating the shaft. Bearing failure? the bluish cast is oxidation from when it's heated as in heat treating.

Michael
'Don't fergit to drink upstream of the herd...'

http://www.psgparts.com
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

"shaft is bluish, that's a result of overheating the shaft. Bearing failure? the bluish cast is oxidation from when it's heated as in heat treating."

Didn't think of overheating bearing failure or oxidation. I'll take the rest of it apart tomorrow & see what happens. This unit was a junker from our local landfill site. There are a few more to be had I should take another apart just to see.

Thanks guys!

Eldon
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Hey Guys
This might sound silly(or maybe not!) I plan to buy a 1/2" straight shank reamer
to do changer parts. It is high speed tool steel, 8" long. I thought if i cut about
4" off i would have my changer axle, and a shorter reamer! Is that cheap or
what? The tool steel used for these reamers is about Rockwell 60, a good
average between harness and resistence to flex! I know that most of yu-all
are more knowledgable about he properties of steel than me so any advice
on this would be great!
Thanks
Wayne
"don't worry, be happy"