Pull-Release Pull Rods

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Re: Pull-Release Pull Rods

Post by Eldon »

Awsome, guess I have my work cut out now, be darn fine if we could quaff an ale or two face to face. Thank you to everyone!
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Thanks, Mac. Yes it is a great place. I have been visiting for weeks.
If you are Mac Knowles, I used your original book to build my first PSG.

I have made two so far. Parts cut out with a band saw don't look quite as good as those done with a milling machine, though.

I am a beginning player on 10 string E9, and have made an eight stringer tuned to my own version of G major, which I can play better.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

G-maj-coped.jpg
G-maj-coped.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
This is my G-major copedent. I get the M function by pulling the G-bellcrank part way. I tuned to string 3, but string 6 is in the ballpark. It's one way to get two lowers with a pull-release.

I like to use the G and E levers to get a "down chord" at the root fret. Putting your foot on the B pedal in addition gets a 7th of same. This is one feature of the overriding raise that I like.

I can play a lot of tunes in open position with this tuning without using my left hand. Of course it is not as good without slurs, etcetera.

I use a bronze as fourth string to keep me aware of the root note. It doesn't seem to affect the tone much.

Hope this post is not out of line with the topic.
Last edited by Dave-M on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Dave_M......damn you're a clever lad! I'm going to work through that copedent to see how it works, it looks so great! After so many years I feel a bit ashamed at making that old book. It seemed OK at the time but the times have really changed in the last 10 years in the steel business. I hope to finish my new version soon as I can but it's hard to do with such great ideas coming out of forums like this one.....I keep saying to myself "how come I never thought of that" and would like to include any and all these things in the book.

Nice talkin' to you
Mac
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Thanks for all guys, need to take a close look!!
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Mac:
If you really want to try it, you could omit the V, C, and M to get a 3+4. These are specialty pedals for me, and not used much. The K is used mostly when A and B are already pressed for an "UP CHORD".

I find this tuning almost intuitive, and play mostly triads. The vertical scale has 6 inversions (hope that's correct teminology), and no weird grips. Dobro players should love it!!!

Instead of K you might like 2,6,(3),2,6,(3),2,6 top to bottom.