More on adjustable reurn spring attachments

If it has Pedals...
mac639

More on adjustable reurn spring attachments

Post by mac639 »

Hey!.....I figured out something new (to me) today. We've discussed before how to fasten an adjustment bolt to the spring end....wing nuts, tapered springs etc. I have been using a regular 8-32 nut and cutting a kind of hook into one of the flats. It works but looks kind of dopey. I don't know if you folks saw a posting on the SGF about using threaded inserts. That got me thinking and poking around my "stuff". I discovered a drawer full of Chicago screws. Turns out the inside is threaded 8-32 and the outside of the female piece is just the right size to screw into the end of my springs. I just cut off the head of the thing, thread the outside of the remaining piece with a 1/4" NC-20 die, and it screws right into the spring really tight. And you can thread an 8-32 adjustment bolt into the center and it looks and works great. The bolt goes right into the center of the spring no problem.
Why didn't I buy inserts? I checked around town first and found nothing anything like what I wanted, all way too big.
Cheers,
Mac
Bent

Re: More on adjustable reurn spring attachments

Post by Bent »

Hi Mac,
Looks to me like some builders switch back and forth between the tapered spring with a #6 screw, and the spring with the threaded insert. Does it have to do with availability maybe? Now that I have learned how to make the tapered springs myself, I think I'll stick to that method. They are a breeze to make. The only thing is I would love to use stainless wire but it's way too expensive at Spaenaur. If y'all have a cheaper source let me know pls.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Bent:
I've looked a few times at your setup for making the tapered springs but still haven't figured out how you actually do it. What are you using for the wire? Is it music wire? I don't know where you would get anything like that around here though, maybe in Ottawa somewhere. What is the gauge of the wire?
So many questions....sorry
Cheers,
Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mac, I use the regular(not stainless) music wire found in the # 13 catalog from Spaenaur. It is # 18 Music Wire Gauge
call them at 800-265-8772 and have them send you their catalog. They are nice to deal with and will set you up with an account no problem.
My setup is a wee little mandrel shaped like the spring and set up in the drill which is mounted upside down in the vise. With this setup you can make 10 springs in about an hour. Just ask if you need more info. Kinda MacGyver-ish but it works for me...
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.