String Height and Tone

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
Paul Lafountaine

String Height and Tone

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Does the height of the strings from the body play any roll in the sound. Will the tone have more of a bass sound as the sting is raise or lowered as an example. I'm curious about the effect that height plays. Also, is there a particular height for the sweet spot?

Thanks, Paul
louckswayne

Re: String Height and Tone

Post by louckswayne »

Paul
I am quite new to the forum, but have been playing steel for about 40 years. I think
the string ht. above the neck is more or less average on all current guitars, however
if you vary the distance of the strings above the PU poles it will start to affect the
tone a bit. If the pick-up is raised up close under the strings, the sound will have
more bite or edge! To drop the PU down will make the sound less treble. Just
some thoughts!
Wayne
burt

Post by burt »

I've noticed that steels with a 1" string height above the body don't have as good a tone as the more regular 1 1/2" string height.

The advantage of a low string height is less cabinet drop, but the cost is loss of tone.

Guess what the string heights are on my steels ;)
Lap Steel Your Face

Post by Lap Steel Your Face »

That's interesting. I'd love to hear more thoughts on this. What about on a lap steel?
Paul Lafountaine

I'm guessing yours are 1-1/2" to 2". the reason I had ask this question is I am putting together a lap steel and the material I will be using for the nut and bridge is 1" high. I can raise the pickup and fretboard to any height I want, but was wonder how it might effect the tone. On the lap I purchased the strings are only about 3\8" from the body.
Georg

Post by Georg »

If bridge is 1" high, the "hight"-effect on tone is pretty much set. Bridge-height, shape, material and how it connects to body matters more to tone than string-height over fretboard in my experience.
Paul Lafountaine

Thanks everyone for your response. I'm slowly gathering the materials for an 8 string lap steel which I should have mentioned when I started this thread. One of my choices for bridge and nut material has a height of 1" however I have other material of lesser height and was wondering what effect the height of the strings from the body has on tone. This is without consideration for the pickup or fretboard. I hope this better explains what I am asking. I sometime have problems explaining myself properly when writing.

Thanks again to all of you,

Paul
Lap Steel Your Face

Post by Lap Steel Your Face »

I was reading that on most lap steels, the string height is 1/2" to 3/8". Would 1 1/2" really be better? My last build (see my signature for a video of it) has a height of 1" at the bridge and nut. Above the fretboard is less obviously. My next build will not have a raised fretboard, so I was thinking of having a 1/2" string height. 1 1/2" to 2" seems really high. I thought reasing the strings was just to avoid contacting the fretboard with the steel.