Onward

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
village idiot

Onward

Post by village idiot »

Long journeys begin with single step they say, so.... I recently purchased a CD, containing blueprints, drawing, pictures, ideas etc from a seller on e-bay, and I have spent a couple of weeks studying them to try to come to grips with the complexity of a pedal steels makeup. I have decided, for better or worse, I guess to try to construct an SD-10. My reasoning is that if I can't build a single neck model, a double neck probably wouldn't meet with any better success. And if I can't play a single, a double neck would not improve things there either. As I reported in my personal sheet, I cannot play a PSG, nor have I actually even seen one in person, but I stand in awe of the music that the guitar and those of you that play can produce and I would dearly love to just play some simple tunes. In my own defense, I do have some resources that I can access that will be of great assistance. First I have what I would refer to as at least moderate woodworking skills and tools. Building the cabinet doesn't intimidate me. Secondly Im not a complete bumbler mechanically either.
I have studied the plans carefully and it appears that a PSG is a collection of smaller sub assemblies. I plan to focus only on a part at a time to keep from getting too discouraged as I go. The keyless tuner in my design seems to require the most precission construction abilities so I have decided to begin there reasoning that if I can construct this then I may meet with some degree of success in the rest of the project.
And Im off, the local farm supply had a length of 1" X 1/4 " alum bar, and from that I will try to produce a keyless tuner. As they say on the news ....... film at 11:00.
Allan

Re: Onward

Post by Allan »

Hello Roger and welcome to the big adventure.
First off, congrats on starting at the tuner end. I think most builders want to build a changer first. The changer is probably the most contentious thing and the most complex thing on any steel guitar. Best left till later I would say. Good decision.
Secondly, I made the huge mistake of buying a 'how to' CD on e-Bay when I started this journey too. It was quite convincing at the start but actually turned out to be a total waste of time. It is possible that you have a better product and I am told that the latest version of the one I bought has been extensively updated. What I would say is, now you are a member here, use the other members to bounce ideas off before you spend a lot of money at any stage. It's not just the cash either, the frustration of getting it wrong can be a project killer.
There are no shortage of people with ideas here and all will be happy to help. If you produce drawings for any parts of the up coming Ro-Steel, why not post them before you start construction. I have done this and saved HUGE amounts of time and frustration. I have learned so much by asking for comment at every stage.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!