New yorker replica: finished!

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Dave-M

Re: First LS project: 8strings New yorker replica

Post by Dave-M »

I bought a George L, E-66, ten-string pickup, ($90.00 + shipping from Al Brisco), which uses a bar magnet instead of individual pole pieces. I use it on an eight-string non-pedal, with string spacing of 12mm, or about 15/32”. With fixed spacing pole pieces I would be out of luck!

One way of extending a 6-pole pickup for a test on an 8-string guitar is to put a piece of steel of the appropriate length across the poles.
Last edited by Dave-M on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Dave, could you post a link?

Paul
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Bent wrote:Xavier, Paul, Pickup winding is fun. Go here to see how I built my winder viewtopic.php?f=10&t=175
It's a simple affair really, and you'll have loads of fun putting one together, as well as winding your own pickups. The winder is explained here and other pages, but basically it has a DC motor with a light dimmer switch for speed control and a magnet and magnetic switch plus the calculator wired to the equals sign to count the revolutions. Just punch 1+1 and when the magnet comes flying past the switch, it does the "equals" every time, adding 1 for each rev and Bob's your uncle.
Bent, I'm sure that winding a pickup would be fun. But here in New Caledonia, every mail order is painfull... Shipping rates are astonishing, taxes are 38 percent, and more thant 5 weeks to come from USA, so I have to order EXACTLY what I need. As a beginner, I don't know what I exactly need...and there's nothing to sell about that here in shops. If something goes wrong during building process, I have to have another piece ready . So I often order twice more, in case of... very expensive. So I thing it would be better for me to find a full pickup.
I heared some nice tubes on Youtube played on a Georgeboards Blackbird 8 strings lap steel... Do you know what kind of PU they use?
I've sent an Email to Jason Lollar about his pickups, waiting for his answer...

Paul, It's almost finished! (kidding). Yesterday I roughly bandsawed the maple near the good shape, had to fill defects (bad saw use) in the headstock with white glue and maple powder. Today is a working day for me (and set day for the glue), tomorrow will be sanding day. Anyway I can't show you any picture (too much shame) before I make heavy sanding/shaping job. I have no machine tools (but a router, dremel and driller) and everything will be "hand rolled".
I don't know how you do to show EVERY of your wood pieces (ex: Bent's first picture about PU winding topic) with so clean edges and surfaces...

I have some problems finding a nut (and bridge) too... the blanks I find on the net are a very little (2 mm) too short, so I'm thinking about ivory colored corian, but could you help me find some? (remember I'm in New Caledonia:-)) I've bought a brass rod (6 mm diameter) but I'm afraid I'll loose the spirit of the vintage New Yorker if I use such a material...

Xavier
Last edited by banjo980 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Xavier, I like your style. You have a good sense of humor. If you are having difficulty finding parts let me know, I will help you out. I will do my best. Let me know what you need.

Paul
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Thank you Paul, I'll remember:-)

Xavier
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

With the difficulties to find a 8str pickup (and the strings spacing at the neck), I might consider do the 7strings version... even if a headstock with even tuning machines looks better to my eyes... You opinion?

Xavier
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Paul Lafountaine wrote:Dave, could you post a link?

Paul
Paul: Al Brisco's place is in Colborne, Ontario, Canada.
http://steelguitarcanada.com/
The $90 was a special, regular $110, I think.

I just Googled E-66. These suckers go $195, $169, $140 and such.

See also $109 US:
http://www.steelguitar.net/pickups.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xavier ... use 10 string PU and use only 8 poles. Re-read my post above; no pole pieces show on the ten-string E-66 since it doesn't have any!
Conceive, believe, achieve!
BillyJ

Post by BillyJ »

G'day mate.
If you are after pickups like the 8 string Fender Stringmasters, I am now making them. I have pairs where bridge pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity or can supply a single pickup.
They are both approx 9k ohms, alnico V polepieces and have been potted. The bobbins are made from fibreboard.
Suitable for 3/8 string spacing.
Pickups have been tapped to accept 3.5mm height adjustment screws.
Covers are not available for these pickups.
I dont have any sound clips just yet.
I'm in Australia.
If you need to know more, just send us an email from here.
Hope all is well.
Take care

Billy
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

As I said, today was sanding day:-)
This piece of wood seems to be more and more like it shoud be...

I didnt remember how hard maple is...:-(

I have to buy a rounded file to make the neck-head junction.

Billy, I still don't know what I need, what I want... but I'm glad you can do that, and not too far from my home

Xavier
BillyJ

Post by BillyJ »

That's ok. If I can help you out in any way. Just let me know. I also import guitar hardware.
Your project is looking good so far Xavier
Cheers
Billy