Fred needs parts

Bent

Fred needs parts

Post by Bent »

Hey all, just wanted to bring this to your attention: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=183161

Builders member Fred Wright is looking for parts to build his pedal steel, and to better his chances I wanted to make sure y'all seen this. Maybe you have a set of tuning keys or a changer you'd want to get rid of. Good luck Fred!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Fred Wright

Re: Fred needs parts

Post by Fred Wright »

Thanks Bent for your help. Fred
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Fred and welcome to the forum once again :) , one thing i've learn from buying second hand or different parts is that they don't always fit together and you have to modified them to make them fit ,the first and most critical part you need is the endplates and from there you build the cabinet, after that you fit the changer in the endplates and it as to be align as close as possible with the bellcranks , there are different size of endplates out there and each were made specifictly for a changer, sometimes some other changer don't always fit in the endplates cause it wasn't made for that endplate :oops: , if you can't make your own parts...my advice would be to make sure you buy a changer and endplates that fit together , almost 90% of bellcranks are pretty much made the same... except some are for round cross shaft and some for square cross shaft IMO ;).

Pat C.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Pat,
What is your opinion of using wooden endplates? Fred
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Fred,

I think wood endplates would do fine as long has you but an aluminum plate underneath to screw the legs, the're different ways to make wood endplates but not all holds the legs tight enough...they get slack after awhile, but if you put a aluminum plate of 1/2" thick across the bottom it would work as good as aluminum endplates and you can use it as the stop or rest plate for the changer also, i was thinking of building one with wooden endplates for awhile and might give it a try in the futur. :) .

if you want more explanation on it let me know ;) ............Pat C.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Pat, the reason I asked is because I followed Glucks' wood endplate suggestion, and have both ends already installed on my cabinet. If you would have suggested against it, I would have taken them off. However, exactly where would you have me place the 1/2" aluminum plate? Are you also saying to put holes in the plate to screw the legs into? Fred
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Maybe this will help understand what i'm trying to explain :roll:

Pat C. :)
Attachments
Wooden 1.JPG
Wooden 1.JPG (37.57 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Wooden 2.JPG
Wooden 2.JPG (43.35 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Pat,
Great diagrams! Thanks for your time and effort, I really appreciate it! Now I've got to get to work. :roll: Fred